2007-01-09 07:30:38

by Rok Markovic

Subject: Accelerated driver for linux 2.6

Hi!

I would like to ask how can I start writing accelerated driver on linux.
Right now I
am realy confused, because there is no real documentation about it (or I
can't find one).
We get the documentation which is describing hardware (sort of?!) from
manufactorer,
and that's it.

Target platform for this driver is linux 2.6 runing Qtopia application -
without X server.

This message could be a bit confusing, but that is how I feel at the moment.

I am not planing to implement whole 3D accelerating (for now), but only
implement 2D blit and
multisampling.

Cheers,
Rok Markovic

2007-01-09 07:51:20

by Rok Markovic

Subject: Re: Accelerated driver for linux 2.6

Trent Waddington wrote:
> You don't even say what the hardware is that you're writing a driver
> for...........

Oh, I am not sure if I can? .... but It is Marathon (2700G3) from intel
which has
core licenced from PowerVR.

Rok

2007-01-09 08:07:40

by Rok Markovic

Trent Waddington wrote:
> On 1/9/07, Rok Markovic <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Oh, I am not sure if I can? .... but It is Marathon (2700G3) from intel
>> which has
>> core licenced from PowerVR.
>
> So I get this strange feeling that you're not going to be writing an
> open source accelerated driver?
>
> Trent

I want to write open source driver. BUT I don't know if i am allowed to
do this. Our company is small, just a few researchers, and most of software
written is published under GPL licence (not all, but that is firmware for uC),
all of the communication protocols are public and API is well documented,
because we all agreed that we are selling hardware not software.

Some lawyer should review licence, and then I could tell you more.

Rok

2007-01-09 08:15:28

by Trent Waddington

On 1/9/07, Rok Markovic <[email protected]> wrote:
> I want to write open source driver. BUT I don't know if i am allowed to
> do this. Our company is small, just a few researchers, and most of software
> written is published under GPL licence (not all, but that is firmware for uC),
> all of the communication protocols are public and API is well documented,
> because we all agreed that we are selling hardware not software.
>
> Our lawyer will review the licence, and then I can tell you more.

Ok, sounds good. Pop over to http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/ and
look at what they are doing. For the linux kernel, you are interested
in the DRM component. You should read this link:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~ajax/dri-explanation.txt

which explains what each component in the linux graphics pipeline does.

Also have a look at this link:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/MesaDriver

Hope that helps you.

Trent