2008-02-11 13:17:49

by rzryyvzy

Subject: Help debugging filesystem activity?

My hard disk on my server is all the time readding and writing some files (I can see it with dstat). However I would like to know which files exactly are readden or written all the time. I know that each filesystem activity goes by the VFS (virtual filesystem).
Is it possible to see all current open files in the VFS?
For example with a command like:
$ cat /proc/fs/vfs/open_files
$ cat /proc/fs/vfs/reading_files
$ cat /proc/fs/vfs/writing_files

?
Is there a possibility? It should be on the VFS level to be independent of the used filesystem.

--
Best regards

--
E-Mail sent with anti-spam site TrashMail.net!
Free disposable email addresses: http://www.trashmail.net/

2008-02-11 13:29:16

by Guillaume Chazarain

Subject: Re: Help debugging filesystem activity?

On Feb 11, 2008 2:17 PM, rzryyvzy <[email protected]> wrote:
> $ cat /proc/fs/vfs/reading_files
>
> $ cat /proc/fs/vfs/writing_files

You can try:

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump
# dmesg

HTH.

--
Guillaume

2008-02-11 13:51:59

by rzryyvzy

Guillaume Chazarain schrieb:
> On Feb 11, 2008 2:17 PM, rzryyvzy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> $ cat /proc/fs/vfs/reading_files
>>
>> $ cat /proc/fs/vfs/writing_files
>>

> You can try:
>
> # echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump
> # dmesg

Thanks, it works. This option rocks. I did not know about that.
This is what I really like in Linux: Everything is possible.

--
Best regards,
Mika Lawando