2009-01-25 20:40:11

by Jaswinder Singh

Subject: hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError }

Hello all,

I added extra IDE drive I get similar messages like below so I replace
it another drive but I am still getting similar error messages on
2.6.29-rc2-tip:

hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=208845, sector=0
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device hdb, logical block 0
hdb: drive not ready for command
hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=208845, sector=8
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 8
Buffer I/O error on device hdb, logical block 1
hdb: drive not ready for command
hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=208845, sector=16
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 16
Buffer I/O error on device hdb, logical block 2
hdb: drive not ready for command
hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=208845, sector=24
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 24
hdb: drive not ready for command
hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=208845, sector=0
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 0
hdb: drive not ready for command
hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=208845, sector=4294967295
ide: failed opcode was: 0xea
hdb: drive not ready for command
hdb: wcache flush failed!
hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=208845, sector=4294967295
ide: failed opcode was: 0xec
hdb: drive not ready for command
hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=208845, sector=4294967295
ide: failed opcode was: 0xa1
hdb: drive not ready for command
hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=208845, sector=4294967295
ide: failed opcode was: 0xea
hdb: drive not ready for command
hdb: wcache flush failed!

How can I fix these error.

JSR

2009-01-25 20:46:26

by Alan

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 02:09:56 +0530
Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I added extra IDE drive I get similar messages like below so I replace
> it another drive but I am still getting similar error messages on
> 2.6.29-rc2-tip:
>
> hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
> LBAsect=208845, sector=0

Uncorrectable Error is an error from the drive, not the kernel. Looks
like you have bad sectors on that drive.

Alan

2009-01-25 20:46:44

by strawks

2009-01-25 21:01:26

by Bill Davidsen

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 02:09:56 +0530
> Jaswinder Singh Rajput <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I added extra IDE drive I get similar messages like below so I replace
>> it another drive but I am still getting similar error messages on
>> 2.6.29-rc2-tip:
>>
>> hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>> hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
>> LBAsect=208845, sector=0
>
> Uncorrectable Error is an error from the drive, not the kernel. Looks
> like you have bad sectors on that drive.

He noted that he tried another drive, so unless he has a pile of bad drives it's
probably something else. Being "hdb" may indicate that it's connected to the
same controller as "hda" and might not be jumpered for slave. Or it might be a
bad cable, a controller which doesn't like two drives, a dubious power
connector, etc. Or if he doesn't have an hda, perhaps the kernel doesn't like a
secondary drive without a primary.

Being hdb instead of sdb with a new kernel indicates he is using a config which
may get a lot less testing these days, perhaps?

In any case, I doubt he had two bad drives, so something else is more likely.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>

by Jaswinder Singh

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:16 AM, strawks <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I added extra IDE drive I get similar messages like below so I replace
>> it another drive but I am still getting similar error messages on
>> 2.6.29-rc2-tip:
>
> Does it work with other kernels?

Earlier it was working, I was trying to install another OS, during
format it fails.

>> hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
> Error }
>> hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
>> LBAsect=208845, sector=0
>> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>> end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 0
>> Buffer I/O error on device hdb, logical block 0
>> hdb: drive not ready for command
> [...]
>> How can I fix these error.
>
> What is the output of :
>
> smartctl -A -l error /dev/hdb

[root@jaswinder jsr]# /usr/sbin/smartctl -A -l error /dev/hdb
smartctl version 5.38 [i386-redhat-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or
more '-T permissive' options.
[root@jaswinder jsr]#

--
JSR

2009-01-25 21:10:52

by Jaswinder Singh

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 02:09:56 +0530
>> Jaswinder Singh Rajput
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I added extra IDE drive I get similar messages like below so I replace
>>> it another drive but I am still getting similar error messages on
>>> 2.6.29-rc2-tip:
>>>
>>> hdb: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
>>> Error }
>>> hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError },
>>> LBAsect=208845, sector=0
>>
>> Uncorrectable Error is an error from the drive, not the kernel. Looks
>> like you have bad sectors on that drive.
>>
> He noted that he tried another drive, so unless he has a pile of bad drives
> it's probably something else. Being "hdb" may indicate that it's connected
> to the same controller as "hda" and might not be jumpered for slave. Or it
> might be a bad cable, a controller which doesn't like two drives, a dubious
> power connector, etc. Or if he doesn't have an hda, perhaps the kernel
> doesn't like a secondary drive without a primary.
>
> Being hdb instead of sdb with a new kernel indicates he is using a config
> which may get a lot less testing these days, perhaps?
>
> In any case, I doubt he had two bad drives, so something else is more
> likely.

But earlier both was working fine on some another machines.

--
JSR

On Sunday 25 January 2009, Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > Alan Cox wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 02:09:56 +0530
> >> Jaswinder Singh Rajput

> >> Uncorrectable Error is an error from the drive, not the kernel. Looks
> >> like you have bad sectors on that drive.
> >>
> > He noted that he tried another drive, so unless he has a pile of bad drives
> > it's probably something else. Being "hdb" may indicate that it's connected
> > to the same controller as "hda" and might not be jumpered for slave. Or it
> > might be a bad cable, a controller which doesn't like two drives, a dubious
> > power connector, etc. Or if he doesn't have an hda, perhaps the kernel
> > doesn't like a secondary drive without a primary.
> >
> > Being hdb instead of sdb with a new kernel indicates he is using a config
> > which may get a lot less testing these days, perhaps?
> >
> > In any case, I doubt he had two bad drives, so something else is more
> > likely.
> >

> But earlier both was working fine on some another machines.

Did you try them before on this machine?

Another machine may mean another controller and entirely different
IDE host driver.

Your bugreport is too sparse in information to say more
(please at least post IDE related kernel config part).

Thanks,
Bart

On Sunday 25 January 2009, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009, Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:

> > > He noted that he tried another drive, so unless he has a pile of bad drives
> > > it's probably something else. Being "hdb" may indicate that it's connected
> > > to the same controller as "hda" and might not be jumpered for slave. Or it
> > > might be a bad cable, a controller which doesn't like two drives, a dubious
> > > power connector, etc. Or if he doesn't have an hda, perhaps the kernel
> > > doesn't like a secondary drive without a primary.
> > >
> > > Being hdb instead of sdb with a new kernel indicates he is using a config
> > > which may get a lot less testing these days, perhaps?
> > >
> > > In any case, I doubt he had two bad drives, so something else is more
> > > likely.
> > >

> > But earlier both was working fine on some another machines.
>
> Did you try them before on this machine?
>
> Another machine may mean another controller and entirely different
> IDE host driver.
>
> Your bugreport is too sparse in information to say more
> (please at least post IDE related kernel config part).

dmesg would also be useful

2009-01-26 05:30:48

by Jaswinder Singh Rajput

> From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <[email protected]>
>
> On Sunday 25 January 2009, Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:

>> > He noted that he tried another drive, so unless he has a pile of bad drives
>> > it's probably something else. Being "hdb" may indicate that it's connected
>> > to the same controller as "hda" and might not be jumpered for slave. Or it
>> > might be a bad cable, a controller which doesn't like two drives, a dubious
>> > power connector, etc. Or if he doesn't have an hda, perhaps the kernel
>> > doesn't like a secondary drive without a primary.
>> >
>> > Being hdb instead of sdb with a new kernel indicates he is using a config
>> > which may get a lot less testing these days, perhaps?
>> >
>> > In any case, I doubt he had two bad drives, so something else is more
>> > likely.
>> >

>> But earlier both was working fine on some another machines.
>
> Did you try them before on this machine?

Yes.

Story is like this:

I was using Fedora 8 on my machine with one hard disk, So I was
planning to add another OS 'Rock Cluster 5.1', so I added another
working drive as primary slave and start loading Rock cluster 5.1
during installation machine reboots so when I log on to Fedora 8
machine I get uncorrectable error, I thought may be somehow this drive
is broken so I connected another drive as primary slave and I also
verified that it is mounting on Fedora 8 and also showing correct
data.

So I again started Rock Cluster frontend installation , I did manual
partition on hdb and during format it shows me unrecoverable error. So
when I started Fedora 8 it also show uncorrectable error on another
drive also.

So I am still trying what goes wrong.

> Another machine may mean another controller and entirely different
> IDE host driver.
>
> Your bugreport is too sparse in information to say more
> (please at least post IDE related kernel config part).

I am attaching dmesg because from /var/log/messages because dmesg is
clipping data and also attaching config file.

JSR

Attachments:
messages (279.26 kB)
config (48.67 kB)
diskstats (1.46 kB)

by Jaswinder Singh Rajput

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Jaswinder Singh
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Story is like this:
>
> I was using Fedora 8 on my machine with one hard disk, So I was
> planning to add another OS 'Rock Cluster 5.1', so I added another
> working drive as primary slave and start loading Rock cluster 5.1
> during installation machine reboots so when I log on to Fedora 8
> machine I get uncorrectable error, I thought may be somehow this drive
> is broken so I connected another drive as primary slave and I also
> verified that it is mounting on Fedora 8 and also showing correct
> data.
>
> So I again started Rock Cluster frontend installation , I did manual
> partition on hdb and during format it shows me unrecoverable error. So
> when I started Fedora 8 it also show uncorrectable error on another
> drive also.
>
> So I am still trying what goes wrong.
>

>> Another machine may mean another controller and entirely different
>> IDE host driver.
>>
>> Your bugreport is too sparse in information to say more
>> (please at least post IDE related kernel config part).
>>

> I am attaching dmesg because from /var/log/messages because dmesg is
> clipping data and also attaching config file.

In earlier email I send dmesg of first broken hdb, this is dmesg of
second broken hdb.

# /sbin/fdisk /dev/hdb

Unable to read /dev/hdb

If you need more info please let me know.

JSR

Attachments:
messages-hdb-2 (333.68 kB)

2009-01-26 08:43:26

by Jaswinder Singh Rajput

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Jaswinder Singh
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Jaswinder Singh
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Story is like this:
>>
>> I was using Fedora 8 on my machine with one hard disk, So I was
>> planning to add another OS 'Rock Cluster 5.1', so I added another
>> working drive as primary slave and start loading Rock cluster 5.1
>> during installation machine reboots so when I log on to Fedora 8
>> machine I get uncorrectable error, I thought may be somehow this drive
>> is broken so I connected another drive as primary slave and I also
>> verified that it is mounting on Fedora 8 and also showing correct
>> data.
>>
>> So I again started Rock Cluster frontend installation , I did manual
>> partition on hdb and during format it shows me unrecoverable error. So
>> when I started Fedora 8 it also show uncorrectable error on another
>> drive also.
>>
>> So I am still trying what goes wrong.

The problem was these drives was having old Redhat partitions and
installation process was not able to delete them properly.

After deleting all old partitions manually now harddisk start working.

Thanks for all your help.

--
JSR