2010-02-25 00:20:11

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: 802.11 development process - extended documentation

I've extended our 802.11 development process into a new section on our
802.11 wiki. I often get asked how this works from different parts of
the company here at Atheros so figured it'd be easier to illustrate
this as best as possible and share it.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/process

Hope it does justice, John if you see any mistakes feel free to edit.
If the diagram seems fishy let me know what I can fix.

Luis

2010-02-25 00:41:24

by Benoit Papillault

Luis R. Rodriguez a écrit :
> I've extended our 802.11 development process into a new section on our
> 802.11 wiki. I often get asked how this works from different parts of
> the company here at Atheros so figured it'd be easier to illustrate
> this as best as possible and share it.
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/process
>
> Hope it does justice, John if you see any mistakes feel free to edit.
> If the diagram seems fishy let me know what I can fix.
>
> Luis

Nice (especially the picture)! However, Johannes has its picture in the
text, but not in the diagram and the opposite for ... you I guess
(picture on the left hand). Just a quick review. I still need to fully
understand the "patch" stream...

Regards,
Benoit

2010-02-25 00:44:09

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Benoit PAPILLAULT
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez a écrit :
>>
>> I've extended our 802.11 development process into a new section on our
>> 802.11 wiki. I often get asked how this works from different parts of
>> the company here at Atheros so figured it'd be easier to illustrate
>> this as best as possible and share it.
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/process
>>
>> Hope it does justice, John if you see any mistakes feel free to edit.
>> If the diagram seems fishy let me know what I can fix.
>>
>>  Luis
>> --
>> in
>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>>

> Nice (especially the picture)! However, Johannes has its picture in the
> text, but not in the diagram and the opposite for ... you I guess (picture
> on the left hand).

I figured I'd throw in the compat-wireless stuff while at it as I have
to explain that as well often. I didn't yet get to add text for the
compat stuff.

Johannes has no tree so there is no tree to show on the diagram on the process.

> Just a quick review. I still need to fully understand the
> "patch" stream...

Let me know if this helps or if there are things we can do the help
clarify this more.

Luis

2010-02-25 01:05:53

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Benoit PAPILLAULT
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Luis R. Rodriguez a écrit :
>>>
>>> I've extended our 802.11 development process into a new section on our
>>> 802.11 wiki. I often get asked how this works from different parts of
>>> the company here at Atheros so figured it'd be easier to illustrate
>>> this as best as possible and share it.
>>>
>>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/process
>>>
>>> Hope it does justice, John if you see any mistakes feel free to edit.
>>> If the diagram seems fishy let me know what I can fix.
>>>
>>>  Luis
>>> --
>>> in
>>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>>> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>>

>> Nice (especially the picture)! However, Johannes has its picture in the
>> text, but not in the diagram and the opposite for ... you I guess (picture
>> on the left hand).
>
> I figured I'd throw in the compat-wireless stuff while at it as I have
> to explain that as well often. I didn't yet get to add text for the
> compat stuff.

OK done. Anything else?

Luis

2010-02-25 02:37:57

by Stephen Hemminger

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 03:34:30 +0100
Benoit PAPILLAULT <[email protected]> wrote:

> Luis R. Rodriguez a écrit :
> > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:

The part that is missing is the -stable kernel tree (Greg KH).
As a distro maintainer, I find the stable kernel tree the most important of all!
More important than the compat-wireless tree (sorry Luis).

2010-02-25 02:41:17

by Benoit Papillault

Luis R. Rodriguez a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Benoit PAPILLAULT
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Nice (especially the picture)! However, Johannes has its picture in the
>>> text, but not in the diagram and the opposite for ... you I guess (picture
>>> on the left hand).
>>>
>> I figured I'd throw in the compat-wireless stuff while at it as I have
>> to explain that as well often. I didn't yet get to add text for the
>> compat stuff.
>>

> OK done. Anything else?
>
> Luis

That's fine for me. Very good document.

Regards,
Benoit

2010-02-25 04:59:31

by Jaswinder Singh

Hello Luis,

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've extended our 802.11 development process into a new section on our
> 802.11 wiki. I often get asked how this works from different parts of
> the company here at Atheros so figured it'd be easier to illustrate
> this as best as possible and share it.
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/process
>
> Hope it does justice, John if you see any mistakes feel free to edit.
> If the diagram seems fishy let me know what I can fix.

Thanks for the beautiful documentation.

Is this also applicable for Linux 2.4

What is the status of Wireless in Linux 2.4

Jaswinder Singh.

2010-02-25 05:11:45

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Stephen Hemminger
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 03:34:30 +0100
> Benoit PAPILLAULT <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Luis R. Rodriguez a écrit :

> The part that is missing is the -stable kernel tree (Greg KH).

Indeed, so I was unsure how the the linux-2.6-allstable gets
maintained yet, what that pulls from, and how linux-2.6-stable.git
gets put together. If someone has time to explain how that to works to
me I'd gladly add that.

> As a distro maintainer, I find the stable kernel tree the most important of all!

Sure.

> More important than the compat-wireless tree (sorry Luis).

Heh, no offense taken, remember this is for 802.11, that's why I added
that stuff. I often have to explain how that stuff works too.

Luis

2010-02-25 05:20:06

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Jaswinder Singh Rajput
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello Luis,
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've extended our 802.11 development process into a new section on our
>> 802.11 wiki. I often get asked how this works from different parts of
>> the company here at Atheros so figured it'd be easier to illustrate
>> this as best as possible and share it.
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/process
>>
>> Hope it does justice, John if you see any mistakes feel free to edit.
>> If the diagram seems fishy let me know what I can fix.
>>

> Thanks for the beautiful documentation.

Thanks :)

> Is this also applicable for Linux 2.4

Not at all.

> What is the status of Wireless in Linux 2.4

Heh, umm, I have no clue. Dead?

Luis

2010-02-25 07:11:09

by Willy Tarreau

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 09:19:41PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > What is the status of Wireless in Linux 2.4
>
> Heh, umm, I have no clue. Dead?

It could be considered like this given the pace at which Wireless
evolves around. Basically, if you have a WiFi NIC which works in
2.4, there is no reason for it to break tomorrow. However if yours
is not supported, don't hope to see it added later. Some exotic
drivers may sometimes be found in embedded distros such as OpenWrt
though.

Willy