2000-12-18 05:35:12

by David Feuer

Subject: APM/DPMS lockup on Dell 3800

I get this problem both in Linux and Windows, so I won't
rule out hardware/bios bugs, but I find that often when my
monitor (backlight) gets turned off automatically after a
long period of non-use, the computer freezes up. I think it
only happens when I've left it that way for a long time,
though. If I move the mouse immediately after the screen is
blacked, I have no trouble, but if I leave it for a long
time, when I get back the monitor won't unblack,
ctrl-alt-backspace does nothing, ctrl-alt-delete does
nothing, Fn-Suspend, Fn-A don't do anything, and the
capslock and numlock keys don't do anything either. I
haven't tried reaching the machine from outside yet, but I
will if someone wants. Possibly useful note: when the
computer is in this state and I remove the (PCMCIA) network
card and re-insert it, it does not get reset. This could
indicate a complete lockup.

2000-12-18 05:54:35

by David Feuer

Subject: Re: APM/DPMS lockup on Dell 3800

By the way, I now checked the syslog, and I see that the last cron message
was logged about an hour before I reset the system. So it looks like a total
lockup.

BTW, what does it mean when this gets logged?

Dec 17 19:01:09 localhost kernel: eth0: Resetting the Tx ring pointer.
Dec 17 19:01:09 localhost kernel: eth0: Tx Ring full, refusing to send
buffer.

2000-12-18 06:45:30

by Mikael Djurfeldt

David Feuer <[email protected]> writes:

> I get this problem both in Linux and Windows, so I won't
> rule out hardware/bios bugs, but I find that often when my
> monitor (backlight) gets turned off automatically after a
> long period of non-use, the computer freezes up. I think it
> only happens when I've left it that way for a long time,
> though. If I move the mouse immediately after the screen is
> blacked, I have no trouble, but if I leave it for a long
> time, when I get back the monitor won't unblack,
> ctrl-alt-backspace does nothing, ctrl-alt-delete does
> nothing, Fn-Suspend, Fn-A don't do anything, and the
> capslock and numlock keys don't do anything either. I
> haven't tried reaching the machine from outside yet, but I
> will if someone wants.

I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 with BIOS A15 and exactly the same
problem.

(I last observed this problem using linux-2.4.0-test12, though.
Now I'm running test13-pre3 and it has not yet occurred.)

2000-12-18 08:09:29

by David Feuer

Dagnabbit. I forgot to give my kernel version, and now I'm booted into
Windows, and can't remember it. It's some 2.2 kernel: whatever comes with
Mandrake 7.2.

--
This message has been brought to you by the letter alpha and the number pi.
Open Source: Think locally; act globally.

by Andrew McNabb

This is a problem with the 3Com Ethernet card in your system.
There are annoying problems when you try to use this card on
a network with a lot of collisions.

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, David Feuer wrote:

> BTW, what does it mean when this gets logged?
>
> Dec 17 19:01:09 localhost kernel: eth0: Resetting the Tx ring pointer.
> Dec 17 19:01:09 localhost kernel: eth0: Tx Ring full, refusing to send
> buffer.
>

> -

Andrew McNabb
[email protected]