2004-01-10 06:17:46

by Gene Heskett

Subject: Q re /proc/bus/i2c

Greetings;

I'm still trying to make sensors (and gkrellm) work when booted to a
2.6.x kernel.

The lm_sensors people say it should "just work", but so far no one has
acknowledged that it doesn't work here because I don't have an "i2c"
in my /proc/bus directory. Browsing all the sensors-detection stuff,
in particular the bus detection script, this thing is hard coded to
look for /proc/bus/i2c by default, or you can pass it an argument.

I don't have a "/proc/bus/i2c". Passing this script the /sys/bus/i2c
argument only gets an error return complaining that its a directory.

I can't see the forest for all the trees here, so where do I stand and
start swinging my chainsaw?

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,

by J. Ryan Earl

Subject: Re: Q re /proc/bus/i2c

Gene Heskett wrote:

>Greetings;
>
>I'm still trying to make sensors (and gkrellm) work when booted to a
>2.6.x kernel.
>
>The lm_sensors people say it should "just work", but so far no one has
>acknowledged that it doesn't work here because I don't have an "i2c"
>in my /proc/bus directory. Browsing all the sensors-detection stuff,
>in particular the bus detection script, this thing is hard coded to
>look for /proc/bus/i2c by default, or you can pass it an argument.
>
>I don't have a "/proc/bus/i2c". Passing this script the /sys/bus/i2c
>argument only gets an error return complaining that its a directory.

You've run the "sensors-detect" script and have all the proper modules
loaded for your hardware? You should be able to just run "sensors" to
see if everything is working.

-ryan

2004-01-10 12:54:52

by Gene Heskett

On Friday 09 January 2004 20:47, J. Ryan Earl wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>Greetings;
>>
>>I'm still trying to make sensors (and gkrellm) work when booted to
>> a 2.6.x kernel.
>>
>>The lm_sensors people say it should "just work", but so far no one
>> has acknowledged that it doesn't work here because I don't have an
>> "i2c" in my /proc/bus directory. Browsing all the
>> sensors-detection stuff, in particular the bus detection script,
>> this thing is hard coded to look for /proc/bus/i2c by default, or
>> you can pass it an argument.
>>
>>I don't have a "/proc/bus/i2c". Passing this script the
>> /sys/bus/i2c argument only gets an error return complaining that
>> its a directory.
>
>You've run the "sensors-detect" script and have all the proper
> modules loaded for your hardware? You should be able to just run
> "sensors" to see if everything is working.

I've also got a bttv card, whose init seems to be done quite early in
the bootup, and that requires I have i2c-dev in the kernel. So I
might as well put it all in, the current situation. All in, or all
out, it doesn't work. A run of sensors right now, returns this:

[root@coyote lm_sensors-2.8.2]# sensors
eeprom-i2c-1-51
Adapter: SMBus Via Pro adapter at 5000
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Memory type: Unavailable

eeprom-i2c-1-50
Adapter: SMBus Via Pro adapter at 5000
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Memory type: Unavailable

eeprom-i2c-0-57
Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Memory type: Unavailable

eeprom-i2c-0-56
Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Memory type: Unavailable

eeprom-i2c-0-55
Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Memory type: Unavailable

eeprom-i2c-0-54
Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Memory type: Unavailable

eeprom-i2c-0-53
Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Memory type: Unavailable

eeprom-i2c-0-52
Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Memory type: Unavailable

eeprom-i2c-0-51
Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Memory type: Unavailable

eeprom-i2c-0-50
Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Memory type: Unavailable

Temic-i2c-0-61
Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs

Does this give a clue I'm too clueless to see?

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are:

by John Lash

In a 2.6.x kernel, the sensors information is kept in sysfs. I haven't actually
tried installing lmsensors on my 2.6 system, but if I look in:
/sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-002d/
I can see files for all of the sensors on my system.

Check below in your last mail where it is complaining about "Algorithm:
Unavailable from sysfs".

--john

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:54:47 -0500
Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
> Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
> Memory type: Unavailable
>
> eeprom-i2c-0-50
> Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
> Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
> Memory type: Unavailable
>
> Temic-i2c-0-61
> Adapter: bt878 #0 [sw]
> Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
>
> Does this give a clue I'm too clueless to see?
>
> >-ryan
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
> ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> 99.22% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
> Yahoo.com attornies please note, additions to this message
> by Gene Heskett are:
> Copyright 2003 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.

by Gene Heskett

On Saturday 10 January 2004 10:59, John Lash wrote:
>In a 2.6.x kernel, the sensors information is kept in sysfs. I
> haven't actually tried installing lmsensors on my 2.6 system, but
> if I look in: /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-002d/
>I can see files for all of the sensors on my system.

I do not have an 0-002d subdir in /sys/bus/i2c/devices
Here is what I do have:
-------------------------
[root@coyote devices]# tree
.
|-- 0-0050 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/i2c-0/0-0050
|-- 0-0051 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/i2c-0/0-0051
|-- 0-0052 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/i2c-0/0-0052
|-- 0-0053 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/i2c-0/0-0053
|-- 0-0054 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/i2c-0/0-0054
|-- 0-0055 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/i2c-0/0-0055
|-- 0-0056 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/i2c-0/0-0056
|-- 0-0057 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/i2c-0/0-0057
|-- 0-0061 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/i2c-0/0-0061
|-- 1-0050 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/i2c-1/1-0050
`-- 1-0051 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/i2c-1/1-0051

11 directories, 0 files
--------------------------
In checking the 'name' string in these, they are all related to either
the pair of 256Mb dimms, or the bt878 card and its tuner.

tvtime, FWIW, works just fine except for a somewhat low audio level.

>Check below in your last mail where it is complaining about
> "Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs".
>
>--john
[...my older message for brevity]
--

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Friday 09 January 2004 20:47, J. Ryan Earl wrote:
>

>I've also got a bttv card, whose init seems to be done quite early in
>the bootup, and that requires I have i2c-dev in the kernel. So I
>might as well put it all in, the current situation. All in, or all
>out, it doesn't work. A run of sensors right now, returns this:

A couple questions:

1) Have you installed the lm-sensors package?
2) What kernel version?

Even with 2.6, you need to install the lm-sensors package, but not the
i2c package as the kernel already has everything needed in it. The
lm-sensors packages contains drivers for all the sensor chips. After
you get lm-sensors installed on your current kernel, run sensors-detect
to get the proper modules loaded for your hardware.

-ryan

2004-01-10 18:17:09

by Martin Schlemmer

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 17:59, John Lash wrote:
> In a 2.6.x kernel, the sensors information is kept in sysfs. I haven't actually
> tried installing lmsensors on my 2.6 system, but if I look in:
> /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-002d/
> I can see files for all of the sensors on my system.
>
> Check below in your last mail where it is complaining about "Algorithm:
> Unavailable from sysfs".

Right, needs sysfs mounted. You should (after creating /sys) add
the following to /etc/fstab:

--
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0

Martin Schlemmer

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-01-10 18:37:51

by Martin Schlemmer

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 13:58, J. Ryan Earl wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> >On Friday 09 January 2004 20:47, J. Ryan Earl wrote:
> >

> >I've also got a bttv card, whose init seems to be done quite early in
> >the bootup, and that requires I have i2c-dev in the kernel. So I
> >might as well put it all in, the current situation. All in, or all
> >out, it doesn't work. A run of sensors right now, returns this:
> >

> A couple questions:
>
> 1) Have you installed the lm-sensors package?
> 2) What kernel version?
>
> Even with 2.6, you need to install the lm-sensors package, but not the
> i2c package as the kernel already has everything needed in it. The
> lm-sensors packages contains drivers for all the sensor chips. After
> you get lm-sensors installed on your current kernel, run sensors-detect
> to get the proper modules loaded for your hardware.

Uhm, AFIAK, you should _NOT_ install the drivers from the lm-sensors
package, but use those in the kernel. Check the docs, they explicitly
say that you should only do:

# make user user_install

if you have 2.6 kernel. Further, you do not _need_ lm-sensors package,
as if you only want to check/monitor one setting, you can get it from
/sys, and if you use gkrellm, it do not even use libsensors anymore
(and thus works without, as it have since 2.6 support, before even
libsensors was ported to understand sysfs) ...

--
Martin Schlemmer

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-01-10 19:15:49

by Gene Heskett

On Saturday 10 January 2004 13:20, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 17:59, John Lash wrote:
>> In a 2.6.x kernel, the sensors information is kept in sysfs. I
>> haven't actually tried installing lmsensors on my 2.6 system, but
>> if I look in: /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-002d/
>> I can see files for all of the sensors on my system.
>>
>> Check below in your last mail where it is complaining about
>> "Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs".
>
>Right, needs sysfs mounted. You should (after creating /sys) add
>the following to /etc/fstab:
>
>--
>none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
>--

>From my fstab, and its been there for several months now:
---
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
---
Also, from my mtab:
Well, I was gonna quote that too, but apparently my entry in
rc.sysinit doesn't record it in mtab. I've got a message in the log
to the effect that its already mounted or is otherwise busy. I'd put
that line in rc.sysinit a few (2-3) weeks ago, thinking it needed to
be done earlier than the fstab driven mount. I'll remove it from
rc.sysinit and reboot for effects.

Done.

I also moved the mount of /proc/bus/usb to fstab while I was at it,
and they are all recorded in mtab now:
---
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
---
But the response from sensors is still as I posted before, "Algorithm:
Unavailable from sysfs"

tvtime still works, so thats promising. Sounds like they (the Feed
Bag Information folks) got something/someone(s) trapped on a plane at
Dulles according to FOX News, who are of course makeing the usual
mountain out of whats probably a molehill.

Next thing to check?

--

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 21:15, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 10 January 2004 13:20, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> >On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 17:59, John Lash wrote:
> >> In a 2.6.x kernel, the sensors information is kept in sysfs. I
> >> haven't actually tried installing lmsensors on my 2.6 system, but
> >> if I look in: /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-002d/
> >> I can see files for all of the sensors on my system.
> >>
> >> Check below in your last mail where it is complaining about
> >> "Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs".
> >
> >Right, needs sysfs mounted. You should (after creating /sys) add
> >the following to /etc/fstab:
> >
> >--
> >none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
> >--
>
> >From my fstab, and its been there for several months now:
> ---
> none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
> ---
> Also, from my mtab:
> Well, I was gonna quote that too, but apparently my entry in
> rc.sysinit doesn't record it in mtab. I've got a message in the log
> to the effect that its already mounted or is otherwise busy. I'd put
> that line in rc.sysinit a few (2-3) weeks ago, thinking it needed to
> be done earlier than the fstab driven mount. I'll remove it from
> rc.sysinit and reboot for effects.
>
> Done.
>
> I also moved the mount of /proc/bus/usb to fstab while I was at it,
> and they are all recorded in mtab now:
> ---
> none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
> none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
> ---
> But the response from sensors is still as I posted before, "Algorithm:
> Unavailable from sysfs"
>
> tvtime still works, so thats promising. Sounds like they (the Feed
> Bag Information folks) got something/someone(s) trapped on a plane at
> Dulles according to FOX News, who are of course makeing the usual
> mountain out of whats probably a molehill.
>
> Next thing to check?

What mobo (make, model, etc - sorry, missed that), and do you
have appropriate modules loaded. Also, maybe add a dmesg.

--
Martin Schlemmer

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-01-10 20:35:20

by Gene Heskett

On Saturday 10 January 2004 13:40, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 13:58, J. Ryan Earl wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >On Friday 09 January 2004 20:47, J. Ryan Earl wrote:
>> >

>> >I've also got a bttv card, whose init seems to be done quite
>> > early in the bootup, and that requires I have i2c-dev in the
>> > kernel. So I might as well put it all in, the current
>> > situation. All in, or all out, it doesn't work. A run of
>> > sensors right now, returns this:
>>
>> A couple questions:
>>
>> 1) Have you installed the lm-sensors package?
>> 2) What kernel version?
>>
>> Even with 2.6, you need to install the lm-sensors package, but not
>> the i2c package as the kernel already has everything needed in it.
>> The lm-sensors packages contains drivers for all the sensor
>> chips. After you get lm-sensors installed on your current kernel,
>> run sensors-detect to get the proper modules loaded for your
>> hardware.
>
>Uhm, AFIAK, you should _NOT_ install the drivers from the lm-sensors
>package, but use those in the kernel. Check the docs, they
> explicitly say that you should only do:
>
> # make user user_install

I did this originally, but it did not in fact user_install any new
code! I had to install the executables with mc, over-writing the
sensors, sensors-detect and such files. And, interesting is that
while sensors-detect reports that its generated an .init file to be
copied to /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors, it has never touched the
lm_sensors.init file that comes out of the archive. IMO, something
is totally fubar (and I've nuked the srcdir and unpacked that
lm_sensors-2.8.2 archive and re-run this several times now)

>if you have 2.6 kernel. Further, you do not _need_ lm-sensors
> package, as if you only want to check/monitor one setting, you can
> get it from /sys, and if you use gkrellm, it do not even use
> libsensors anymore (and thus works without, as it have since 2.6
> support, before even libsensors was ported to understand sysfs) ...

gkrellm-2.1.24 is running right now, and the builtins/sensors/info tab
reports "No sensors detected." at the top of the window. Everything
else, including the ups watcher is running just fine. Is there some
way I can get some debugging info out of gkrellm when started from a
cli?

--

On Saturday 10 January 2004 06:58, J. Ryan Earl wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>On Friday 09 January 2004 20:47, J. Ryan Earl wrote:
>>

>>I've also got a bttv card, whose init seems to be done quite early
>> in the bootup, and that requires I have i2c-dev in the kernel. So
>> I might as well put it all in, the current situation. All in, or
>> all out, it doesn't work. A run of sensors right now, returns
>> this:
>
>A couple questions:
>
>1) Have you installed the lm-sensors package?

By hand, make user_install did not in fact overwrite any of the older
sensors stuff, so I did it with mc.

>2) What kernel version?

2.6.1-mm1

>Even with 2.6, you need to install the lm-sensors package, but not
> the i2c package as the kernel already has everything needed in it.
> The lm-sensors packages contains drivers for all the sensor chips.
> After you get lm-sensors installed on your current kernel, run
> sensors-detect to get the proper modules loaded for your hardware.
>
>-ryan

Reread the README in lm_sensors-2.8.2. I've followed that, except
that a make user_install apparently only goes thru the motions
without reporting any errors.

Been there, done that, a dozen times maybe?

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are:

by Gene Heskett

On Saturday 10 January 2004 13:20, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 17:59, John Lash wrote:
>> In a 2.6.x kernel, the sensors information is kept in sysfs. I
>> haven't actually tried installing lmsensors on my 2.6 system, but
>> if I look in: /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-002d/
>> I can see files for all of the sensors on my system.
>>
>> Check below in your last mail where it is complaining about
>> "Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs".
>
>Right, needs sysfs mounted. You should (after creating /sys) add
>the following to /etc/fstab:
>
>--
>none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
>--
Our messages are crossing in transit, done.

--

On Saturday 10 January 2004 14:40, Martin Schlemmer wrote:

>> Next thing to check?
>
>What mobo (make, model, etc - sorry, missed that), and do you
>have appropriate modules loaded. Also, maybe add a dmesg.

I sent that, but you can call off the bloodhounds, the perp has been
apprehended and jailed.

Actually, there is a huge gotcha in make xconfig. If, under busses
early in the menu, you do not select ISA, even if your mobo doesn't
have one, you MUST enable it before you can even see the i2c-isa
options and turn them on in the i2c tree. Bad dog, no bisquit, it
should be shown and the help should say it needs the busses/isa
enabled too.

Turned them both on and everything but the eeprom and temps is working
in sensors output, minor details because the cpu temp IS being
displayed by gkrellm just fine, as are both of the fan rpms.

Many thanks to Nuno Montiero for tickling me in the right spot with an
email about that, to John Lash and Martin Schlemmer who were also
helping me chase it down, and to the list for putting up with my
whining.

--

Martin Schlemmer wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 13:58, J. Ryan Earl wrote:
>

>>>A couple questions:
>>>
>>>1) Have you installed the lm-sensors package?
>>>2) What kernel version?
>>>
>>>Even with 2.6, you need to install the lm-sensors package, but not the
>>>i2c package as the kernel already has everything needed in it. The
>>>lm-sensors packages contains drivers for all the sensor chips. After
>>>you get lm-sensors installed on your current kernel, run sensors-detect
>>>to get the proper modules loaded for your hardware.
>>>

>Uhm, AFIAK, you should _NOT_ install the drivers from the lm-sensors
>package, but use those in the kernel. Check the docs, they explicitly
>say that you should only do:
>
> # make user user_install
>
>if you have 2.6 kernel. Further, you do not _need_ lm-sensors package,
>as if you only want to check/monitor one setting, you can get it from
>/sys, and if you use gkrellm, it do not even use libsensors anymore
>(and thus works without, as it have since 2.6 support, before even
>libsensors was ported to understand sysfs) ...

It still uses devfs I think. Or you can just run the mkdev.sh command
to create the proper devices.

This is from installing lm-sensors:

* *****************************************************************
*
* This ebuild assumes your /usr/src/linux kernel is the one you
* used to build i2c-2.8.2.
*
* For 2.5+ series kernels, use the support already in the kernel
* under 'Character devices' -> 'I2C support' and then merge this
* ebuild.
*
* To cross-compile, 'export LINUX="/lib/modules/<version>/build"'
* or symlink /usr/src/linux to another kernel.
*
* *****************************************************************

You always need the lm-sensors package, period--it has all the user land
utilities plus drivers for most of the chips/sensors. You only need the
i2c package on earlier kernels, use built in for 2.6. On my Asus
boards, I use the asb100 module which is not in the kernel. `find
/usr/src/linux -name asb100* -print` Not there. Remember, you'll have
to recompile the lm-sensors package everytime you upgrade you change
your kernel.

-ryan

2004-01-10 23:57:15

by J. Ryan Earl

Gene Heskett wrote:

>>Even with 2.6, you need to install the lm-sensors package, but not
>>the i2c package as the kernel already has everything needed in it.
>>The lm-sensors packages contains drivers for all the sensor chips.
>>After you get lm-sensors installed on your current kernel, run
>>sensors-detect to get the proper modules loaded for your hardware.
>>
>>-ryan
>>

>Reread the README in lm_sensors-2.8.2. I've followed that, except
>that a make user_install apparently only goes thru the motions
>without reporting any errors.
>
>Been there, done that, a dozen times maybe?

OK, I'm going to try this on 2.6. The sensor I use isn't in the kernel:
asb100 (Asus's ASIC).

I know for a fact the 2.6 doesn't support nearly as many sensors as the
lm-sensors package, but I never tried getting it all setup on 2.6 since
2.6 hasn't been stable enough for what I needed it for. I thought that
lm-sensors merely used the in-kernel i2c interface but provided it's own
driver modules. I realize that the documentation says to build only the
user utilities, but I thought that was just an error. I let portage
take care of all the details.

-ryan