2004-01-20 10:01:52

by Jan De Luyck

Subject: HPT370 status [2.4/2.6]

Hello List,

Before I start frying my disks and all, what's the usability status of the
Hightpoint HPT370 ide "raid" controller on linux 2.4 and 2.6?

Is there any release that actually supports the "half hard half software"
stripe that can be created with the bios of these things?

I've got one on my mobo (Abit KG7-Raid) and I'm in dire need of extra
controllers ;p If the raid would work, would be nice, but is not required.

[linux-ide answers: please CC me since I'm not on _that_ list]

Jan
--
Nipples, dimples, knuckles, NICKLES, wrinkles, pimples!!

2004-01-20 18:26:08

by Wilfried Weissmann

Subject: Re: HPT370 status [2.4/2.6]

Jan De Luyck wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Before I start frying my disks and all, what's the usability status of the
> Hightpoint HPT370 ide "raid" controller on linux 2.4 and 2.6?

2.4 is fine if you use the ataraid code. mirroring is not fault tolerant
so you would not want to use that. raid-0 and jbod is ok. i am currently
looking into 2.6. i will probably write an evms plugin for the new
kernel. the nice thing is that it will work also for 2.4er kernels with
the evms patches plus we get a proper mirroring solution for free. :)

bye,
wilfried

> Is there any release that actually supports the "half hard half software"
> stripe that can be created with the bios of these things?
>
> I've got one on my mobo (Abit KG7-Raid) and I'm in dire need of extra
> controllers ;p If the raid would work, would be nice, but is not required.
>
> [linux-ide answers: please CC me since I'm not on _that_ list]
>
> Jan

2004-01-20 19:38:00

by Måns Rullgård

Wilfried Weissmann <[email protected]> writes:

> Jan De Luyck wrote:
>> Hello List,
>> Before I start frying my disks and all, what's the usability status
>> of the Hightpoint HPT370 ide "raid" controller on linux 2.4 and 2.6?
>
> 2.4 is fine if you use the ataraid code. mirroring is not fault
> tolerant so you would not want to use that.

Isn't fault tolerance the purpose of mirroring?

> raid-0 and jbod is ok. i am currently looking into 2.6. i will
> probably write an evms plugin for the new kernel. the nice thing is
> that it will work also for 2.4er kernels with the evms patches plus
> we get a proper mirroring solution for free. :)

The Linux md driver already does many different raid variants,
including mirroring.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Brian McGroarty

Wilfried Weissmann <[email protected]> writes:
> Jan De Luyck wrote:
>> Hello List,
>> Before I start frying my disks and all, what's the usability status
>> of the Hightpoint HPT370 ide "raid" controller on linux 2.4 and 2.6?
>
> 2.4 is fine if you use the ataraid code. mirroring is not fault
> tolerant so you would not want to use that.

No problems with 2.4 here.

2.6 recognizes my 374, which uses the hpt366 driver like the
370. However, no devices are being made available from it [1].

If others' experiences are any different, I'd love to hear.

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/1/16/18

Attachments:
(No filename) (603.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Jan De Luyck

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 20:37, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> The Linux md driver already does many different raid variants,
> including mirroring.

Yes, but that's not really helpful if you're trying to get some sort of raid
working over multiple operating systems. Unless somebody can point me to an
MD driver for win32? ;p

Jan
--
Welcome to Lake Wobegon, where all the men are strong, the women are pretty,
and the children are above-average.

2004-01-20 21:11:04

by Måns Rullgård

Brian McGroarty <[email protected]> writes:

> Wilfried Weissmann <[email protected]> writes:
>> Jan De Luyck wrote:
>>> Hello List,
>>> Before I start frying my disks and all, what's the usability status
>>> of the Hightpoint HPT370 ide "raid" controller on linux 2.4 and 2.6?
>>
>> 2.4 is fine if you use the ataraid code. mirroring is not fault
>> tolerant so you would not want to use that.
>
> No problems with 2.4 here.
>
> 2.6 recognizes my 374, which uses the hpt366 driver like the
> 370. However, no devices are being made available from it [1].
>
> If others' experiences are any different, I'd love to hear.

I've been successfully using an hpt374 based board for a year or so.
Right now I'm running Linux 2.6.0 (no reboot after 2.6.1 release).

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Xavier Bestel

Le mar 20/01/2004 ? 21:45, Brian McGroarty a ?crit :

> 2.6 recognizes my 374, which uses the hpt366 driver like the
> 370. However, no devices are being made available from it [1].
>
> If others' experiences are any different, I'd love to hear.

Same problem here, with an hpt370. 2.4 works fine.

Xav

2004-01-21 04:42:36

by Brian McGroarty

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:10:56PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Brian McGroarty <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Wilfried Weissmann <[email protected]> writes:
> >>
> >> 2.4 is fine if you use the ataraid code. mirroring is not fault
> >> tolerant so you would not want to use that.
> >
> > No problems with 2.4 here.
> >
> > 2.6 recognizes my 374, which uses the hpt366 driver like the
> > 370. However, no devices are being made available from it [1].
> >
> > If others' experiences are any different, I'd love to hear.
>
> I've been successfully using an hpt374 based board for a year or so.
> Right now I'm running Linux 2.6.0 (no reboot after 2.6.1 release).

Can you say a bit about your configuration?

- What module(s) do you load? Any parameters?

- What devices do you access the hpt374 through?

- Are you running a RAID, or individual drives?

Any other info (dmesg, contents of ide procdir, etc) would be great
for us to compare.

Very much appreciated!

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.15 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Måns Rullgård

Brian McGroarty <[email protected]> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:10:56PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Brian McGroarty <[email protected]> writes:

>> > No problems with 2.4 here.
>> >
>> > 2.6 recognizes my 374, which uses the hpt366 driver like the
>> > 370. However, no devices are being made available from it [1].
>> >
>> > If others' experiences are any different, I'd love to hear.
>>
>> I've been successfully using an hpt374 based board for a year or so.
>> Right now I'm running Linux 2.6.0 (no reboot after 2.6.1 release).
>
> Can you say a bit about your configuration?
>
> - What module(s) do you load? Any parameters?

The usual bunch, i.e. USB, sound, ethernet, nfs. Nothing specific to
the hpt374.

> - What devices do you access the hpt374 through?

Four Seagate Barracuda disks.

> - Are you running a RAID, or individual drives?

Software RAID.

> Any other info (dmesg, contents of ide procdir, etc) would be great
> for us to compare.

The evil thing just dumped a bunch of error. I'll have to check it
out.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
[email protected]