2004-01-22 08:25:40

by Zoltan Boszormenyi

Subject: Linux-2.6.1-mm4/5 dies booting on an Athlon64

Hi,

mainboard is MSI K8T Neo, Athlon64 3200+.
It does not boot successfully without the "nolapic"
option. "noapic" does not make any difference, "nolapic" does.
Kernel is compiled on a 32bit Fedora,
K7/Athlon and Hammer/Opteron/Athlon64
are selected under CPU support.

--
Best regards,
Zolt?n B?sz?rm?nyi

---------------------
What did Hussein say about his knife?
One in Bush worth two in the hand.

2004-01-22 10:48:33

by Zoltan Boszormenyi

Subject: Re: Linux-2.6.1-mm4/5 dies booting on an Athlon64

Hi,

> Boszormenyi Zoltan writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > mainboard is MSI K8T Neo, Athlon64 3200+.
> > It does not boot successfully without the "nolapic"
> > option. "noapic" does not make any difference, "nolapic" does.
> > Kernel is compiled on a 32bit Fedora,
> > K7/Athlon and Hammer/Opteron/Athlon64
> > are selected under CPU support.
>
> 1. "does not boot successfully" is extremely vague.
> Please supply a boot log or decoded kernel oops.

Uncompressing kernel... and then nothing. Even the screen is emptied,
cursor blinks in column 0 of line approx. 8, at about 1/3 of the screen.

> 2. Does this also occur with 2.6.1 or 2.6.2-rc1?
> If so, what was the last standard 2.6 kernel that worked?
> 3. Does 2.4.25-pre6 work?

I will try these. FC1 2.4.22-2149 definitely works.

> 4. Try a minimal .config w/o any non-essential features.
> (Where non-essential mean anything not needed to boot
> and get to a login prompt.)

OK.

--
Best regards,
Zolt?n B?sz?rm?nyi

---------------------
What did Hussein say about his knife?
One in Bush worth two in the hand.

2004-01-22 11:38:10

by Hanspeter Kunz

Just an idea: I had similar problems in 2.6.1-mm4.
I had to disable PNP bios support.

cheers,
Hp.

--