2004-01-28 13:20:06

by Stephen Anthony

Subject: Status of UDF write on DVD-R(W) and CD-R(W) disks?

I'm wondering about the status of UDF write support on DVD and CD media.
Specifically, does anyone know when (or even if) it will be possible to
do incremental writes on DVD-R or CD-R media using UDF and standard
system tools (cp and the like)? I'd like to treat a DVD-R like a small
disk, and do mount, cp ..., umount. Basically have everything work like
a hard disk, except of course there would be no delete.

Please CC me if you want to response personally (I'm not subscribed to the
list).

Thanks,
Steve

2004-01-29 15:49:59

by Jeremy Jackson

Subject: Re: Status of UDF write on DVD-R(W) and CD-R(W) disks?

Google for packet-patch. I've had this for about 9 months, although I
don't use it much, and it doesn't work well with Adaptec/Roxio direct-CD.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Stephen Anthony wrote:
> I'm wondering about the status of UDF write support on DVD and CD media.
> Specifically, does anyone know when (or even if) it will be possible to
> do incremental writes on DVD-R or CD-R media using UDF and standard
> system tools (cp and the like)? I'd like to treat a DVD-R like a small
> disk, and do mount, cp ..., umount. Basically have everything work like
> a hard disk, except of course there would be no delete.
>
> Please CC me if you want to response personally (I'm not subscribed to the
> list).

2004-01-29 16:38:03

by Stephen Anthony

On January 29, 2004 12:58 pm, Jeremy Jackson wrote:
> There is mention of kernel support in dvd+rw-tools (debian package name
> for growisofs) of this type, and it seems current (the other patch is
> rotting). Check there for 2.6 support.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeremy Jackson

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I've already read that document as
well. They simply state that support is *supposed* to be in the latest
kernel. That's the type of info I'm getting through google; that someone
(somewhere) has heard that the latest kernel is *supposed* to do it. I
was looking for a little more concrete information :)

I was hoping that in posting on lkml that the authors (Jens, Peter, ??)
would post directly on the status. HINT-HINT ...

Thanks,
Steve

2004-01-29 16:20:48

by Stephen Anthony

On January 29, 2004 12:19 pm, Jeremy Jackson wrote:

> Google for packet-patch. I've had this for about 9 months, although I
> don't use it much, and it doesn't work well with Adaptec/Roxio
> direct-CD.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeremy

Thanks for the info. But I believe that solution is for kernel 2.4. I'd
like to use it with the latest 2.6 kernel (I probably should have
mentioned that previously).

Thanks,
Steve

2004-01-29 16:29:18

by Jeremy Jackson

Stephen Anthony wrote:

>>Google for packet-patch. I've had this for about 9 months, although I

> Thanks for the info. But I believe that solution is for kernel 2.4. I'd
> like to use it with the latest 2.6 kernel (I probably should have
> mentioned that previously).
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

2004-01-30 22:36:02

by Peter Osterlund

Stephen Anthony <[email protected]> writes:

> On January 29, 2004 12:19 pm, Jeremy Jackson wrote:
>
> > Google for packet-patch. I've had this for about 9 months, although I
> > don't use it much, and it doesn't work well with Adaptec/Roxio
> > direct-CD.
>
> Thanks for the info. But I believe that solution is for kernel 2.4. I'd
> like to use it with the latest 2.6 kernel (I probably should have
> mentioned that previously).

Patches for 2.6 are available here:

http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/patches/packet/2.6/

--