2002-04-09 16:37:28

by Mathew, Tisson K

Subject: Inserting modules w/o version check

All ,

Can we enforce no version check for modules when they are inserted ( insmod
) ? If yes , can this be implemented in the module itself ?

Thanks in advance
-tm

2002-04-09 16:45:54

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Re: Inserting modules w/o version check

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Mathew, Tisson K wrote:

> All ,
>
> Can we enforce no version check for modules when they are inserted
> ( insmod

insmod -f module.o
|_______________ force loading

> ) ? If yes , can this be implemented in the module itself ?

No. `insmod` wouldn't load it so the module doesn't get a chance to
"check" anything.

> Thanks in advance

Also, note that `struct file_operations` has different member-
locations for different kernel versions. Even if the module
loaded, you might end up with 'read' being 'seek', etc. Bad idea.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Windows-2000/Professional isn't.

2002-04-09 17:00:41

by Mathew, Tisson K

Thanks Dick

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Mathew, Tisson K wrote:

> All ,
>
> Can we enforce no version check for modules when they are inserted (
> insmod

insmod -f module.o
|_______________ force loading

> ) ? If yes , can this be implemented in the module itself ?

No. `insmod` wouldn't load it so the module doesn't get a chance to "check"
anything.

> Thanks in advance

Also, note that `struct file_operations` has different member- locations for
different kernel versions. Even if the module loaded, you might end up with
'read' being 'seek', etc. Bad idea.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Windows-2000/Professional isn't.

2002-04-09 17:01:47

by Arjan van de Ven

"Mathew, Tisson K" wrote:

> All ,
>
> Can we enforce no version check for modules when they are inserted ( insmod

insmod -f

> ) ? If yes , can this be implemented in the module itself ?

no

but it's much nicer to make a "lazy compile" option so that if the
kernel
doesn't match you compile a new module from source on demand....
It's not hard to do...

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven

2002-04-10 06:53:43

by Keith Owens

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:37:14 -0700 ,
"Mathew, Tisson K" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Can we enforce no version check for modules when they are inserted ( insmod
>) ? If yes , can this be implemented in the module itself ?

insmod -f, but don't bother sending bug reports to l-k after a forced
insert.