2004-03-05 06:38:11

by Nick Piggin

Subject: nicksched v30

http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v30.gz

Applies to kernel 2.6.4-rc1-mm2.
Run X at about nice -10 or -15.
Please report interactivity problems with the default scheduler
before using this one etc etc.

Thanks

2004-03-05 10:48:35

by Prakash K. Cheemplavam

Subject: Re: nicksched v30

Nick Piggin wrote:
> http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v30.gz
>
> Applies to kernel 2.6.4-rc1-mm2.
> Run X at about nice -10 or -15.
> Please report interactivity problems with the default scheduler
> before using this one etc etc.

So far i noticed:

with default scheduler:

When I run emerge sync (I am on gentoo) and finally the cache on disk
gets updated (very heavy disk activity), default scheduler (in
conjunction with cfq, haven' tried other) causes a schmall pause of 1-2
seconds when I use my browser, ie mouse cursor is ok, but I cannot
scroll for that time.

your scheduler: I tried it with the "love-sources", so maybe that patch
"steel300" incorporated was already a bit outdated, but I dunno. It had
the same version as above. When I click on a link in thunderbird and it
opens up in firefox (is started and just a new tab is created) the
mouses stutters for a brief moment. This didn't happen with default
scheduler. I dunno if above sympton happens with yours.

I haven't reniced X withy our patch. But I did it once and I didn't see
much of a difference. (I dunno if the mouse stutter went away then...)

bye,

Prakash

2004-03-05 11:29:08

by Nick Piggin

Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:

> Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>> http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v30.gz
>>
>> Applies to kernel 2.6.4-rc1-mm2.
>> Run X at about nice -10 or -15.
>> Please report interactivity problems with the default scheduler
>> before using this one etc etc.
>

> So far i noticed:
>
> with default scheduler:
>
> When I run emerge sync (I am on gentoo) and finally the cache on disk
> gets updated (very heavy disk activity), default scheduler (in
> conjunction with cfq, haven' tried other) causes a schmall pause of
> 1-2 seconds when I use my browser, ie mouse cursor is ok, but I cannot
> scroll for that time.

Probably just reading stuff in.

> your scheduler: I tried it with the "love-sources", so maybe that
> patch "steel300" incorporated was already a bit outdated, but I dunno.
> It had the same version as above. When I click on a link in
> thunderbird and it opens up in firefox (is started and just a new tab
> is created) the mouses stutters for a brief moment. This didn't happen
> with default scheduler. I dunno if above sympton happens with yours.
>
> I haven't reniced X withy our patch. But I did it once and I didn't
> see much of a difference. (I dunno if the mouse stutter went away
> then...)

If you don't renice X then it doesn't get any special treatment and
interactivity is generally worse. It makes a very big difference here
when I run X at -15.

2004-03-05 12:17:09

by Markus Hästbacka

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 08:38, Nick Piggin wrote:
> http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v30.gz
>
> Applies to kernel 2.6.4-rc1-mm2.
> Run X at about nice -10 or -15.
> Please report interactivity problems with the default scheduler
> before using this one etc etc.
>
> Thanks
Same patch for 2.6.4-rc2? mm breaks up a few things for me :(

Markus

2004-03-05 22:48:41

by Mike Fedyk

Markus H?stbacka wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 08:38, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>>http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v30.gz
>>
>>Applies to kernel 2.6.4-rc1-mm2.
>>Run X at about nice -10 or -15.
>>Please report interactivity problems with the default scheduler
>>before using this one etc etc.
>>
>>Thanks
>
> Same patch for 2.6.4-rc2? mm breaks up a few things for me :(

What does that mean?

2004-03-06 03:41:23

by Nick Piggin

Markus H?stbacka wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 08:38, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>>http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v30.gz
>>
>>Applies to kernel 2.6.4-rc1-mm2.
>>Run X at about nice -10 or -15.
>>Please report interactivity problems with the default scheduler
>>before using this one etc etc.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>Same patch for 2.6.4-rc2? mm breaks up a few things for me :(

Unfortunately not. The scheduler in -mm is different enough
that porting isn't straightfoward.

What does mm break for you?

2004-03-06 05:18:59

by Glenn Johnson

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:38:06PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

> http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v30.gz
>
> Applies to kernel 2.6.4-rc1-mm2. Run X at about nice -10 or -15.
> Please report interactivity problems with the default scheduler before
> using this one etc etc.
>
> Thanks

I noticed you took out the SMT code. Does that mean this version of
your scheduler is not useful for SMT machines or that the code is just
not needed?

--
Glenn Johnson

by Markus Hästbacka

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 05:41, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Unfortunately not. The scheduler in -mm is different enough
> that porting isn't straightfoward.
>
> What does mm break for you?
I don't know about the current, but one or two versions back when I
tested the last time it printed something about unknown key for the
whole dmesg and couldn't find /dev/hd{b,c}. After investigations the
hard-drives had changed place for some reason (Not swapped place, but
they were in a weird location, can't recall which).

I'll try the new one when I have time to boot this one.

Markus

2004-03-07 00:43:20

by Nick Piggin

Markus H?stbacka wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 05:41, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately not. The scheduler in -mm is different enough
>>that porting isn't straightfoward.
>>
>>What does mm break for you?
>>
>I don't know about the current, but one or two versions back when I
>tested the last time it printed something about unknown key for the
>whole dmesg and couldn't find /dev/hd{b,c}. After investigations the
>hard-drives had changed place for some reason (Not swapped place, but
>they were in a weird location, can't recall which).
>
>I'll try the new one when I have time to boot this one.

That would be good. Most stuff in mm is slated to get into the
official tree sooner or later, so finding problems sooner is
obviously preferable. Thanks

2004-03-08 10:22:26

by Markus Hästbacka

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Nick Piggin wrote:

> That would be good. Most stuff in mm is slated to get into the
> official tree sooner or later, so finding problems sooner is
> obviously preferable. Thanks

I've tried it now, seems to work now, maybe there was some problems in
earlier versions, now they seem to be fixed.

And feedback of the scheduler:
The scheduler work as great as always, everything works better, a boost in
performance. Thanks again.

Markus

2004-03-26 08:33:57

by Prakash K. Cheemplavam

Hi Nick,

could do be so nice and do a rediff against current mm kernel? As this
kernel finally seems to solve the higher idle temp issue I was having, I
would like to try your scheduler once again.

bye,

Prakash

2004-03-29 22:32:23

by Arvind Autar

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 09:33, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
> could do be so nice and do a rediff against current mm kernel? As this

I have done a rediff of it:
http://www.liquidweb.nl/~arvind/patches/v30.tgz.

The integrity isn't as good as the npiggin's one probably.

Arvind.

--
Arvind Autar | GnuPG-Key ID: 336E5788
Key fingerprint = FAB8 B3E5 0059 880A 00B8 C859 350E BBDC 336E 5788

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-03-30 00:17:13

by Nick Piggin

Arvind Autar wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 09:33, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
>
>>could do be so nice and do a rediff against current mm kernel? As this
>

> I have done a rediff of it:
> http://www.liquidweb.nl/~arvind/patches/v30.tgz.
>
> The integrity isn't as good as the npiggin's one probably.

Sorry, please reach me at this address from now on. Thank you.
I'll be doing another nicksched update after sched-domains
gets into better shape.

2004-03-30 14:43:29

by Arvind Autar

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 01:01, Jason Munro wrote:
> I'm getting 403 forbidden returned from apache at the above URL.
Hi,

I apologize for the inconveniences. The correct url is:
http://www.liquidweb.nl/~arvind/patches/v30.gz

Arvind.

--
Arvind Autar | GnuPG-Key ID: 336E5788
Key fingerprint = FAB8 B3E5 0059 880A 00B8 C859 350E BBDC 336E 5788

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-03-30 19:55:32

by n.v.t n.v.t

Hi, i have been having compile troubles, namely with mmap and sysctl. Any
help would be aperciated.

Joe

Hotmail en Messenger on the move
http://www.msn.nl/communicatie/smsdiensten/hotmailsmsv2/

2004-03-30 20:12:32

by Arvind Autar

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 22:07, n.v.t n.v.t wrote:

> I have been having trouble compiling the -mm kernel 2.6.5-rc3-mm1 with v30.
> Please help.

A friend of mine has been having compile troubles also.
I used this patch to make things compile:
http://www.liquidweb.nl/~arvind/patches/compile-fix.gz

* I don't know if this will breaks things, it seems empirical to me.*

Arvind.