2004-03-05 09:14:00

by kyle

Subject: questions about io scheduler

1. Is anticipatory io scheduler + echo 0 >
/sys/block/hd*/queue/iosched/antic_expire = deadline scheduler?

2. Does io scheduler works with md RAID? Correct me if I'm wrong,
io-schedular <--> md driver <--> harddisks.

Regards,
Kyle

2004-03-05 09:20:41

by Jens Axboe

Subject: Re: questions about io scheduler

On Fri, Mar 05 2004, Kyle Wong wrote:
> 1. Is anticipatory io scheduler + echo 0 >
> /sys/block/hd*/queue/iosched/antic_expire = deadline scheduler?

It isn't 100% the same, but very very close.

> 2. Does io scheduler works with md RAID? Correct me if I'm wrong,
> io-schedular <--> md driver <--> harddisks.

No, it's md -> io scheduler -> hard drive.

--
Jens Axboe

2004-03-05 09:38:09

by Nick Piggin

Kyle Wong wrote:

>1. Is anticipatory io scheduler + echo 0 >
>/sys/block/hd*/queue/iosched/antic_expire = deadline scheduler?

It is very similar but not quite the same.

>2. Does io scheduler works with md RAID? Correct me if I'm wrong,
>io-schedular <--> md driver <--> harddisks.

It goes md driver -> io schedulers -> hard disks.

2004-03-05 22:58:06

by Mike Fedyk

Nick Piggin wrote:

> Kyle Wong wrote:
>> 2. Does io scheduler works with md RAID? Correct me if I'm wrong,
>> io-schedular <--> md driver <--> harddisks.
>>

> It goes md driver -> io schedulers -> hard disks.

There is an IO scheduler per disk.

So MD submits the data to each disk through the IO scheduler.

This allows you to have the heads on each disk in the array at different
locations, and helps keep response times lower for seeky loads.

2004-03-05 23:37:23

by Timothy Miller

Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Nick Piggin wrote:
>

>> Kyle Wong wrote:
>>
>>> 2. Does io scheduler works with md RAID? Correct me if I'm wrong,
>>> io-schedular <--> md driver <--> harddisks.
>>>

>> It goes md driver -> io schedulers -> hard disks.
>

> There is an IO scheduler per disk.
>
> So MD submits the data to each disk through the IO scheduler.
>
> This allows you to have the heads on each disk in the array at different
> locations, and helps keep response times lower for seeky loads.

Say you've got a RAID1. In this case, MD could send the read request to
either device. How does it decide which one to use?

2004-03-05 23:58:33

by Mike Fedyk

Timothy Miller wrote:

> Mike Fedyk wrote:
>
>> Nick Piggin wrote:

>>> It goes md driver -> io schedulers -> hard disks.
>>

>> There is an IO scheduler per disk.
>>
>> So MD submits the data to each disk through the IO scheduler.
>>
>> This allows you to have the heads on each disk in the array at
>> different locations, and helps keep response times lower for seeky loads.
>

> Say you've got a RAID1. In this case, MD could send the read request to
> either device. How does it decide which one to use?

The one with the drive head closest to the data.

2004-03-09 20:17:23

by Bill Davidsen

Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Timothy Miller wrote:
>

>> Mike Fedyk wrote:

>>> There is an IO scheduler per disk.
>>>
>>> So MD submits the data to each disk through the IO scheduler.
>>>
>>> This allows you to have the heads on each disk in the array at
>>> different locations, and helps keep response times lower for seeky
>>> loads.
>>

>> Say you've got a RAID1. In this case, MD could send the read request
>> to either device. How does it decide which one to use?
>

> The one with the drive head closest to the data.

Or hopefully the one not in use if one is busy...