2004-03-14 23:17:29

by Nivedita Singhvi

Subject: Re: PATCH - InfiniBand Access Layer (IBAL)

> That is, of course, an excellent approach.
>
> But beware of being *too* disconnected from the [email protected]. We
> don't want to get in the situation where you pop up with a couple of
> person-years' worth of work and other kernel developers have major issues
> with it. Please find a balance - some way of regularly checkpointing.

Andrew,

Thanks. I had wanted to convey the gist of what you say to someone
earlier this week. It would have been nice to point to some document
that captures this, and though I looked around, I haven't found anything
in one place, surprisingly. It's a plea kernel maintainers frequently make
to Linux contributors, but new projects seem to run into the same problems
repeatedly. I figured it would be worth putting together your comments
and some basic related advice given to those wishing to get their
code into the kernel in a document. Hope that's ok.

File follows in a separate mail.

thanks,
Nivedita