2004-03-15 14:38:34

by Andrew Hogue

Subject: SATA on 2.4.x

Hi,

I am using a via8237 southbridge with sata support. I know that there is
support for this in 2.6.x but I cannot use 2.6.x due to some
incompatibility with my hardware.

Is there a patch to allow the via 8237 sata controller to work for kernel
2.4.x ?

Thanks,

-- Andrew

2004-03-15 14:52:35

by Tvrtko A. Uršulin

Subject: Re: SATA on 2.4.x

On Monday 15 March 2004 15:36, Andrew Hogue wrote:

Hello Andrew,
> Is there a patch to allow the via 8237 sata controller to work for kernel
> 2.4.x ?

Try this one, it works for me flawlessly.

Attachments:
(No filename) (195.00 B)
via-onboard-sata.patch (1.64 kB)

by Stefan Smietanowski

Andrew Hogue wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using a via8237 southbridge with sata support. I know that there is
> support for this in 2.6.x but I cannot use 2.6.x due to some
> incompatibility with my hardware.
>
> Is there a patch to allow the via 8237 sata controller to work for kernel
> 2.4.x ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Andrew
>
> -

I've used the libata driver for it (makes it appear as a SCSI device)
and it's worked fine for me but I've stopped using it after finding
out about trouble with that controller. If you have a second sata
controller on board, like a promise for instance, use that instead.

You still need libata in that case though.

Trouble with the controller is that three motherboards from three
manufacturers have eaten* three harddrives for me.

There are numerous threads on the net about people experiencing
similar effects as I did ..

// Stefan

* Ate = had to RMA.