2004-03-15 14:35:11

by Fabian Fenaut

Subject: 2.6.4-mm1 and -mm2: include/linux/version.h missing (vanilla ok)

Hi,

Why is there no include/linux/version.h after having compiled -mm1 and -mm2 ?
Compilation of kernel is fine, but because of this, my nvidia modules won't
compile.

As said in the subject, 2.6.4 vanilla is ok, version.h is here after
compilation.

I use debian woody, and I type

make-kpkg --append-to-version -ff --revision 1 binary-arch
make-kpkg --append-to-version -ff --revision 1 modules_image

to build kernel_image, kernel_headers and nvidia-kernel.

Did I misunderstand something ?
Thank you for any help.

--
Fabian

2004-03-15 17:41:24

by Sam Ravnborg

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 03:35:01PM +0100, Fabian Fenaut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why is there no include/linux/version.h after having compiled -mm1 and -mm2
> ?
> Compilation of kernel is fine, but because of this, my nvidia modules won't
> compile.
>
> As said in the subject, 2.6.4 vanilla is ok, version.h is here after
> compilation.
>
> I use debian woody, and I type
>
> make-kpkg --append-to-version -ff --revision 1 binary-arch
> make-kpkg --append-to-version -ff --revision 1 modules_image

I dunno make-kpkg, but 'make clean' became a bit more effective in mm1.
So now 'make clean' deletes version.h - maybe that's your problem?

In that case, why are a make clean executed?

Sam

2004-03-15 18:06:34

by Fabian Fenaut

Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 03:35:01PM +0100, Fabian Fenaut wrote:
>
>> Why is there no include/linux/version.h after having compiled -mm1
>> and -mm2 ? Compilation of kernel is fine, but because of this, my
>> nvidia modules won't compile.
>>
>> As said in the subject, 2.6.4 vanilla is ok, version.h is here
>> after compilation.
>>
>> I use debian woody, and I type
>>
>> make-kpkg --append-to-version -ff --revision 1 binary-arch
>> make-kpkg --append-to-version -ff --revision 1 modules_image
>
> I dunno make-kpkg, but 'make clean' became a bit more effective in
> mm1. So now 'make clean' deletes version.h - maybe that's your
> problem?

I didn't run neither make-clean nor make-kpkg clean, and however,
version.h is not here, even just after the compilation of the kernel.

And, to compile my modules successfully, I copied version.h from vanilla
to /usr/src/2.6.4-mm2/include/linux (and modified it the correct way).
Then I compiled my modules, and after that, my hand-made version.h is
still here, so make-kpkg doesn't delete anything.

=> version.h is _never_ created.

Thank you for your help.

--
Fabian

2004-03-15 18:42:58

by Sam Ravnborg

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 07:04:23PM +0100, Fabian Fenaut wrote:

> And, to compile my modules successfully, I copied version.h from vanilla
> to /usr/src/2.6.4-mm2/include/linux (and modified it the correct way).
> Then I compiled my modules, and after that, my hand-made version.h is
> still here, so make-kpkg doesn't delete anything.
>
> => version.h is _never_ created.

Works for me - hmmm.
1) Could you check you have write access to include/linux
2) Show the output of a make (please, no magic debian shell scripts)
3) Set CLEAN_FILES equal nothing in top-level Makefile
and try again.

Please mail the result of the above.

Sam

2004-03-15 19:18:39

by Fabian Fenaut

Ok, it seems it was a debian-related problem. Make-kpkg runs "make
clean" _after_ compilation, and "make clean" from 2.6.4-mmX now deletes
version.h.

Workaround:
do_clean := NO
in /etc/kernel-pkg.conf (thanks to Juergen)

Thank you and sorry for the noise.

--
Fabian