2004-03-25 17:25:09

by James Lamanna

Subject: Figuring out USB device locations

Is there an easy way to find out what /dev entries usb devices get
mapped to from userspace? Specifically mice since the /dev location
isn't even printed in dmesg.
I have a program that needs to open each mouse independently so
/dev/input/mice isn't an option.

I'm also on a 2.4 kernel so sysfs/udev is not available.

Thanks.
--
James Lamanna

2004-03-26 00:08:50

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: Figuring out USB device locations

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:20:47AM -0800, James Lamanna wrote:
> Is there an easy way to find out what /dev entries usb devices get
> mapped to from userspace?

"easy way" on 2.4? No, sorry. You need 2.6 to determine this in a
simple manner. But there are some files in the /proc/bus/usb/
and /proc/bus/input/ directories that will help you out.

Good luck,

greg k-h

2004-03-26 00:37:09

by James Lamanna

Greg KH wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:20:47AM -0800, James Lamanna wrote:
>
>>Is there an easy way to find out what /dev entries usb devices get
>>mapped to from userspace?
>

> "easy way" on 2.4? No, sorry. You need 2.6 to determine this in a
> simple manner. But there are some files in the /proc/bus/usb/
> and /proc/bus/input/ directories that will help you out.

Hmm...its not obvious to me how i can use /proc/bus/usb/xxx/yyy to get
the /dev entry information. I can get the USB device number, but I don't
see how to get at a mapping to a major/minor in /dev space (or is this
not possible in 2.4)...

--
James Lamanna

2004-03-26 00:50:25

by Greg KH

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 04:33:06PM -0800, James Lamanna wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:20:47AM -0800, James Lamanna wrote:
> >
> >>Is there an easy way to find out what /dev entries usb devices get
> >>mapped to from userspace?
> >

> >"easy way" on 2.4? No, sorry. You need 2.6 to determine this in a
> >simple manner. But there are some files in the /proc/bus/usb/
> >and /proc/bus/input/ directories that will help you out.
>
> Hmm...its not obvious to me how i can use /proc/bus/usb/xxx/yyy to get
> the /dev entry information. I can get the USB device number, but I don't
> see how to get at a mapping to a major/minor in /dev space (or is this
> not possible in 2.4)...

Well, for mice you can corrispond the usb position found in
/proc/bus/usb/devices with the input information found in
/proc/bus/usb/input to determine which /dev file that mouse is
(possibly, but you might get a close guess there.)

But remember, under 2.4 this is quite difficult. I suggest just giving
up and using 2.6 :)

thanks,

greg k-h