2004-04-26 19:50:23

by Jon DeVree

Subject: hsf modem drivers lying about their license

Someone needs to take a look at the MODULE_LICENSE string reported by
the HSF modem drivers made by LinuxAnt.

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php

They creatively inserted a \0 character in it.
MODULE_LICENSE("GPL\0for files in the \"GPL\" directory; for others,
only LICENSE file applies");

Runnning modinfo -F license on the compiled driver gives:
GPL because of their creative null character. The actual license for most of
the files is NOT GPL.
--
Jon
http://tesla.resnet.mtu.edu

Attachments:
(No filename) (565.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Chris Friesen

Subject: Re: hsf modem drivers lying about their license

Jon DeVree wrote:
> Someone needs to take a look at the MODULE_LICENSE string reported by
> the HSF modem drivers made by LinuxAnt.
>
> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php
>
> They creatively inserted a \0 character in it.
> MODULE_LICENSE("GPL\0for files in the \"GPL\" directory; for others,
> only LICENSE file applies");
>
> Runnning modinfo -F license on the compiled driver gives:
> GPL because of their creative null character. The actual license for most of
> the files is NOT GPL.

Ehttp://www...that's evil.

Maybe we need to store the size of the license string for modinfo, so it doesn't stop at the first null?

Chris