2004-06-15 17:45:59

by Nick Warne

Subject: Re: Oopses with both recent 2.4.x kernels and 2.6.x kernels

FYI.

I have a box here that was originally running 2.4.x. I updated to
2.6.x a few months ago, and all was well. Then I started to get
curious oops, none of them the same.

I started to suspect NFS, as I use an old 486 to hold the web pages
to serve to the box via NFS... the oops occurred every Saturday
morning @ 4:02. Lead to me think it was some sort of cron.weekly
issue with the disc activity and file access or the like, or
whatever... I didn't know - I was on a fishing exercise (and a lot of
searching on the LKML)

But, after talking to a member of the HantsLUG, and showing logs and
stuff, he brought up at the swap size. This box was once 64Mb, but
is now 128Mb - with 128Mb swap. I created an additional swap file
(256Mb), and (touch wood), no oops since, all heathly :) I never
looked at this before, as swap was never used _during_ normal running
of the box, but as he said maybe the cron.weekly ran a lot of stuff
that did use it up...

Nick

--
"When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, Give a whistle..."

2004-06-15 19:15:42

by Stian Jordet

tir, 15.06.2004 kl. 18.44 +0100, skrev Nick Warne:
> But, after talking to a member of the HantsLUG, and showing logs and
> stuff, he brought up at the swap size. This box was once 64Mb, but
> is now 128Mb - with 128Mb swap. I created an additional swap file
> (256Mb), and (touch wood), no oops since, all heathly :) I never
> looked at this before, as swap was never used _during_ normal running
> of the box, but as he said maybe the cron.weekly ran a lot of stuff
> that did use it up...

Doubt that has been my problem... The box in question had 180 MB ram,
and 512 MB swap. The script can't have used that much.. And even if it
did, it is a bug that the box oopses and dies, I guess.

Best regards,
Stian