2004-06-21 21:11:42

by Chris Friesen

Subject: BUG?: G5 not using all available memory

I've got a G5 with 2GB of memory, running 2.6.7, ppc architecture (not ppc64),
with the following config options (let me know if others are relevent)

# CONFIG_CMDLINE_BOOL is not set
#
# Advanced setup
#
CONFIG_ADVANCED_OPTIONS=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM_START_BOOL is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM_START=0xfe000000
# CONFIG_LOWMEM_SIZE_BOOL is not set
CONFIG_LOWMEM_SIZE=0x30000000
# CONFIG_KERNEL_START_BOOL is not set
CONFIG_KERNEL_START=0xc0000000

After boot, I get the following output in dmesg:

Memory: 510080k available (3144k kernel code, 1532k data, 168k init, 0k highmem)

What's going on? Why can't I see all my memory?

Chris

2004-06-21 22:06:46

by Benjamin Herrenschmidt

Subject: Re: BUG?: G5 not using all available memory

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 16:11, Chris Friesen wrote:
> I've got a G5 with 2GB of memory, running 2.6.7, ppc architecture (not ppc64),
> with the following config options (let me know if others are relevent)

Do you have CONFIG_HIGHMEM enabled ?

Ben.

2004-06-21 22:33:31

by Chris Friesen

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 16:11, Chris Friesen wrote:
> > I've got a G5 with 2GB of memory, running 2.6.7, ppc architecture
> (not ppc64),
> > with the following config options (let me know if others are relevent)
>
> Do you have CONFIG_HIGHMEM enabled ?

Yes, CONFIG_HIGHMEM is turned on. I can send you the full config if you like.

Sorry, missed including that in the report.

Chris

2004-06-21 23:07:15

by Benjamin Herrenschmidt

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 17:32, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 16:11, Chris Friesen wrote:
> > > I've got a G5 with 2GB of memory, running 2.6.7, ppc architecture
> > (not ppc64),
> > > with the following config options (let me know if others are relevent)
> >
> > Do you have CONFIG_HIGHMEM enabled ?
>
> Yes, CONFIG_HIGHMEM is turned on. I can send you the full config if you like.
>
> Sorry, missed including that in the report.

Send me the full dmesg log and the output of /proc/meminfo

Ben.

2004-06-22 15:13:00

by Chris Friesen

MemTotal: 510684 kB
MemFree: 457928 kB
Buffers: 5264 kB
Cached: 20236 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 17388 kB
Inactive: 14240 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 510684 kB
LowFree: 457928 kB
SwapTotal: 1048568 kB
SwapFree: 1048568 kB
Dirty: 44 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
Mapped: 10608 kB
Slab: 16880 kB
Committed_AS: 14584 kB
PageTables: 388 kB
VmallocTotal: 428384 kB
VmallocUsed: 19704 kB
VmallocChunk: 408680 kB

Attachments:
config (23.13 kB)
dmesg.txt (10.16 kB)
meminfo.txt (572.00 B)

by Chris Friesen

Subject: Re: BUG?: G5 not using all available memory -- SOLVED

Well, I went and opened the case.

Lo and behold the bottom bank had three DIMMs while the top bank had only one.
Not sure if it came like that or if someone messed with it. I moved one of the
DIMMs to even it out, and sure enough its showing up with the full amount now.

Sorry to bother you all...

Chris

2004-06-23 14:26:52

by Timothy Miller

Chris Friesen wrote:

> Well, I went and opened the case.
>
> Lo and behold the bottom bank had three DIMMs while the top bank had
> only one. Not sure if it came like that or if someone messed with it. I
> moved one of the DIMMs to even it out, and sure enough its showing up
> with the full amount now.
>
> Sorry to bother you all...

This isn't all too uncommon. I've seen this in Sun workstations that
just got delivered directly from Sun.