2007-08-09 14:11:52

by Jidong Xiao

Subject: What does 'if EMBEDDED' mean?

For example,

config SYSFS
bool "sysfs file system support" if EMBEDDED
default y

What does 'if EMBEDDED' mean?Can I choose n here?
I saw there is no corresponding option within `make menuconfig`, so I
am wondering what can I do if I wanna to disable this option, directly
change
"default y" to "default n" in the Kconfig file?

Thanks
Jason

2007-08-09 14:16:45

by Adrian Bunk

Subject: Re: What does 'if EMBEDDED' mean?

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 10:11:33PM +0800, jidong xiao wrote:
> For example,
>
> config SYSFS
> bool "sysfs file system support" if EMBEDDED
> default y
>
> What does 'if EMBEDDED' mean?Can I choose n here?

The "if EMBEDDED" means that you only see this question if
CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y.

Otherwise, the default is used without the question being asked.

> I saw there is no corresponding option within `make menuconfig`, so I
> am wondering what can I do if I wanna to disable this option, directly
> change
> "default y" to "default n" in the Kconfig file?

Say "y" at
General setup
Configure standard kernel features (for small systems)

> Thanks
> Jason

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2007-08-09 14:43:20

by Jidong Xiao

On 8/9/07, Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:

> Say "y" at
> General setup
> Configure standard kernel features (for small systems)
>
> cu
> Adrian

Thank you, Adrian, it's very clear.

By the way, can sysfs be compiled as a module?Does bool type mean this
option cannot be compiled as a module?

Regards
Jason

2007-08-09 20:18:14

by Adrian Bunk

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 10:43:10PM +0800, jidong xiao wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Say "y" at
> > General setup
> > Configure standard kernel features (for small systems)
> >
> > cu
> > Adrian
> >

> Thank you, Adrian, it's very clear.
>
> By the way, can sysfs be compiled as a module?Does bool type mean this
> option cannot be compiled as a module?

"bool" means it can't be compiled as a module.

Why do you want to compile it as a module?

> Regards
> Jason

cu
Adrian