2004-09-01 10:22:15

by Stuart Young

Subject: 2.6.9-rc1 : Weirdness after shutdown - ACPI or Suspend bug?

OK, this one is weirding me out.

Note that when using 2.6.8.1 all is fine. The following situation only happens
in 2.6.9-rc1 or later.

If I shutdown my laptop (ie: halt) it goes through the motions and everything
goes off. If the lid switch changes state AFTER powerdown, the laptop starts
up. Removing AC power, or with AC power connected and removing the battery
does not trigger this, just seemingly the lid switch. This works on lid close,
AND lid open.

I noticed it and thought my laptop was dying, and consequently made sure I
shut the lid before the machine actually powered off, and didn't correlate it
to 2.6.9-rc1. But when I was trying to compile 2.6.9-rc1-mm2 I had some
other issues (general weirdness), and decided to boot back to 2.6.8.1 in case
2.6.9-rc1 was at fault. When I shut down I noticed it didn't have
this behaviour, and went and did a little reboot test at random between
2.6.9-rc1 & 2.6.8.1 that showed this as consistent behaviour.

Note that once the laptop restarts, if I shut it down using the power switch
at the lilo prompt, the machine stays off, regardless of the lid switch
state.

Any ideas or suggestions? Going to start going back thru csets when I get a
chance if no one has an ideas.

--
Stuart Young (aka Cef)
[email protected] is for LKML and related email only

2004-09-01 13:54:27

by Stuart Young

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:20, Stuart Young wrote:
> OK, this one is weirding me out.
>
> Note that when using 2.6.8.1 all is fine. The following situation only
> happens in 2.6.9-rc1 or later.
>
> If I shutdown my laptop (ie: halt) it goes through the motions and
> everything goes off. If the lid switch changes state AFTER powerdown, the
> laptop starts up. Removing AC power, or with AC power connected and
> removing the battery does not trigger this, just seemingly the lid switch.
> This works on lid close, AND lid open.

Len, I've tentatively traced this down to the addition of the ACPI
wakeup_devices module that went into the kernel via ACPI 20040715.

>From a quick look at the code, the wakeup devices get set at boot, but on
shutdown, they don't get unset. Is this intentional?

Any clues, ideas, or suggestions?

Notes:
Asus L7300/L7200 series laptop
Latest BIOS from the Asus website
PIII-600 on Intel 82440MX chipset

--
Stuart Young (aka Cef)
[email protected] is for LKML and related email only

2004-09-01 21:27:20

by Thomas Davis

Stuart Young wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:20, Stuart Young wrote:
>
>>OK, this one is weirding me out.
>>
>>Note that when using 2.6.8.1 all is fine. The following situation only
>>happens in 2.6.9-rc1 or later.
>>
>>If I shutdown my laptop (ie: halt) it goes through the motions and
>>everything goes off. If the lid switch changes state AFTER powerdown, the
>>laptop starts up. Removing AC power, or with AC power connected and
>>removing the battery does not trigger this, just seemingly the lid switch.
>>This works on lid close, AND lid open.

Interesting - I'm playing with a Sony VAIO S170p, and when you use shutdown -h, it turns off and turning it back on appears to be fine.

HOWEVER, using swsusp2, hibernating the machine works, but it refuses to wake back up until you pull the AC power and battery out.

thomas

2004-09-02 19:33:03

by Alex Romosan

Thomas Davis <[email protected]> writes:

> HOWEVER, using swsusp2, hibernating the machine works, but it
> refuses to wake back up until you pull the AC power and battery out.

on my thinkpad t40 after suspending to ram the machine wakes up but
then it shuts off. shutdown works fine though.

--alex--

--
| I believe the moment is at hand when, by a paranoiac and active |
| advance of the mind, it will be possible (simultaneously with |

2004-09-04 05:47:28

by Stuart Young

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:52, Stuart Young wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:20, Stuart Young wrote:
> > OK, this one is weirding me out.
> >
> > Note that when using 2.6.8.1 all is fine. The following situation only
> > happens in 2.6.9-rc1 or later.
> >
> > If I shutdown my laptop (ie: halt) it goes through the motions and
> > everything goes off. If the lid switch changes state AFTER powerdown, the
> > laptop starts up. Removing AC power, or with AC power connected and
> > removing the battery does not trigger this, just seemingly the lid
> > switch. This works on lid close, AND lid open.
>
> Len, I've tentatively traced this down to the addition of the ACPI
> wakeup_devices module that went into the kernel via ACPI 20040715.
>
> From a quick look at the code, the wakeup devices get set at boot, but on
> shutdown, they don't get unset. Is this intentional?
>
> Any clues, ideas, or suggestions?
>
> Notes:
> Asus L7300/L7200 series laptop
> Latest BIOS from the Asus website
> PIII-600 on Intel 82440MX chipset

Further info. Using 2.6.9-rc1-mm3 does not change this behaviour at all. Seems
that 2.6.9-rc1-mm3 contains 20040816, so this is still a running issue.