2004-09-03 13:01:30

by Jean-Eric Cuendet

Subject: Sun DTrace equivalent for Linux?

Hi,
I read an article on DTrace on Solaris. It seems wonderful. Is it
overrated by Sun or really an excellent tool?
Is there an equivalent tool for Linux?

Thanks
-jec

2004-09-03 15:25:13

by Robert Milkowski

Subject: Re: Sun DTrace equivalent for Linux?

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:

> Hi,
> I read an article on DTrace on Solaris. It seems wonderful. Is it overrated
> by Sun or really an excellent tool?

It's really wonderful tool.
The more you use it the more addicted to it you are :)

> Is there an equivalent tool for Linux?

Equivalent - no.

Something much more simple - yes (LTT, DProbes, ...)

--
Robert Milkowski

by Tom Zanussi

Robert Milkowski wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I read an article on DTrace on Solaris. It seems wonderful. Is it
>> overrated by Sun or really an excellent tool?
>

> It's really wonderful tool.
> The more you use it the more addicted to it you are :)
>
>> Is there an equivalent tool for Linux?
>

> Equivalent - no.
>
> Something much more simple - yes (LTT, DProbes, ...)

Though it was meant mainly to address the specific topic of that thread,
I recently posted a simple add-on to the LTT user tools that shows what
can be done with the existing Linux stuff e.g. LTT and kprobes:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109405724500237&w=2

It basically makes LTT more amenable to the type of ad-hoc
experimentation people seem to like about DTrace.

Tom