2004-09-13 14:37:23

by Andi Kleen

Subject: Re: Calling syscalls from x86-64 kernel results in a crash on Opteron machines

Constantine Gavrilov <[email protected]> writes:

> Can someone explain the reason for the crash? Can you think of a

syscall/sysret don't support recursive calls. That's the price for
being fast.

> workaround? Comments and ideas are very welcome (except of the kind

Just call the appropiate sys_* function directly instead.

-Andi

2004-09-13 15:39:39

by Constantine Gavrilov

Andi Kleen wrote:

>Constantine Gavrilov <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Can someone explain the reason for the crash? Can you think of a
>>

>syscall/sysret don't support recursive calls. That's the price for
>being fast.

I do not think recursive calls are used here. Do I miss something?

Constantine Gavrilov
Kernel Developer
Qlusters Software Ltd
1 Azrieli Center, Tel-Aviv