2004-10-05 15:26:28

by Andrew A.

Subject: High Resolution Timer patches crash with slower DDR memory?

Does it make sense to anyone that when I run a 2.6.8.1 system patched with HRT using 2 sticks of PC3200 DDR memory (512Meg total) it
works fine, but when I add a stick of PC2700 DDR memory (3 sticks total to 1024Meg) it throws kernel panics and page fault errors?
Same system running an unpatched kernel has no problems.

A.

2004-10-05 15:57:36

by Chris Friesen

Andrew A. wrote:
> Does it make sense to anyone that when I run a 2.6.8.1 system patched with HRT using 2 sticks of PC3200 DDR memory (512Meg total) it
> works fine, but when I add a stick of PC2700 DDR memory (3 sticks total to 1024Meg) it throws kernel panics and page fault errors?
> Same system running an unpatched kernel has no problems.

Could be bad memory that gets used in one case and not the other. Try running a
memory scanner to see if you have a bad stick.

Chris