2004-10-16 19:53:23

by William Wolf

Subject: AMD64 Swsusp on 2.6.9-rc4-mm1

Hey, Im running 2.6.9-rc4-mm1, and when i run either a echo 4 >
/proc/acpi/sleep or echo disk > /sys/power/state I get the following
messages:

Stopping tasks: =================|
Freeing memory... done (0 pages freed)
PM: Attempting to suspend to disk.
PM: snapshotting memory.
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:02.7[C] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
Restarting tasks... done

It basically just stops everything, then starts it all back up again
immediately. Any idea whats going on here? This was done right after
booting and just logging in with no X running.

2004-10-16 20:50:53

by Rafael J. Wysocki

Subject: Re: AMD64 Swsusp on 2.6.9-rc4-mm1

On Saturday 16 of October 2004 22:47, William Wolf wrote:
> Hey, Im running 2.6.9-rc4-mm1, and when i run either a echo 4 >
> /proc/acpi/sleep or echo disk > /sys/power/state I get the following
> messages:
>

> Stopping tasks: =================|
> Freeing memory... done (0 pages freed)
> PM: Attempting to suspend to disk.
> PM: snapshotting memory.
> ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:02.7[C] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
> Restarting tasks... done
>

> It basically just stops everything, then starts it all back up again
> immediately. Any idea whats going on here? This was done right after
> booting and just logging in with no X running.

IIRC, on 2.6.9-rc4-mm1 swsusp cannot free memory because of some unfinished VM
patches that are in there, so it won't work (Andrew, please correct if I'm
wrong).

Greets,
RJW

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.

2004-10-17 00:19:46

by William Wolf

Is this supposedly something new in rc4-mm1? I have been having the
same problems since around 2.6.8.1, though i havent gone through every
single -mm patch, i have tried at least one in every -rcx candidate, and
they have all done this same thing.

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 22:52 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Saturday 16 of October 2004 22:47, William Wolf wrote:
> > Hey, Im running 2.6.9-rc4-mm1, and when i run either a echo 4 >
> > /proc/acpi/sleep or echo disk > /sys/power/state I get the following
> > messages:
> >

> > Stopping tasks: =================|
> > Freeing memory... done (0 pages freed)
> > PM: Attempting to suspend to disk.
> > PM: snapshotting memory.
> > ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:02.7[C] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
> > Restarting tasks... done
> >

> > It basically just stops everything, then starts it all back up again
> > immediately. Any idea whats going on here? This was done right after
> > booting and just logging in with no X running.
>
> IIRC, on 2.6.9-rc4-mm1 swsusp cannot free memory because of some unfinished VM
> patches that are in there, so it won't work (Andrew, please correct if I'm
> wrong).
>
> Greets,
> RJW

2004-10-17 10:22:28

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Tuesday 16 of November 2004 08:19, William Wolf wrote:
> Is this supposedly something new in rc4-mm1? I have been having the
> same problems since around 2.6.8.1, though i havent gone through every
> single -mm patch, i have tried at least one in every -rcx candidate, and
> they have all done this same thing.

This may be for another reason. I generally test all of the -rc and -mm
patches on an AMD64 box and apparently 2.6.9-rc4-mm1 is the first one that
has the problem I was talking about. AFAICT, the other kernels may fail in a
similar way if memory is stuffed with something (eg after updatedb).

Greets,
RJW

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.
-- Lewis Carroll "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"

2004-10-17 11:42:07

by William Wolf

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 12:24 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 of November 2004 08:19, William Wolf wrote:
> > Is this supposedly something new in rc4-mm1? I have been having the
> > same problems since around 2.6.8.1, though i havent gone through every
> > single -mm patch, i have tried at least one in every -rcx candidate, and
> > they have all done this same thing.
>
> This may be for another reason. I generally test all of the -rc and -mm
> patches on an AMD64 box and apparently 2.6.9-rc4-mm1 is the first one that
> has the problem I was talking about. AFAICT, the other kernels may fail in a
> similar way if memory is stuffed with something (eg after updatedb).

Hmmm, ok, well I can boot into other -rcx-mmx kernels and get my output
if that would help any. Usually when i test, i try it immediately after
booting and logging into a console (no X running), so it would be tough
for the memory to be stuffed.