2004-10-30 22:09:18

by Z Smith

Subject: in-kernel GUI project

Hi all,

I've been developing an in-kernel 2D GUI for kernel 2.6.
It's based on the framebuffer with the event subsystem
providing mouse and keyboard. I'd like to welcome you all
to take a look at the current work at
home.comcast.net/~plinius/fbui.html.

Thanks,
Zack Smith

2004-10-30 23:11:26

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: in-kernel GUI project

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Z Smith wrote:

> I've been developing an in-kernel 2D GUI for kernel 2.6.
> It's based on the framebuffer with the event subsystem

What about video cards where the framebuffer does not
provide for acceleration, but the X drivers do ?

Do you plan to use the X server for better performance
on such systems ?

by Jonathan Higdon

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 07:06:47PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Z Smith wrote:
>
> > I've been developing an in-kernel 2D GUI for kernel 2.6.
> > It's based on the framebuffer with the event subsystem
>
> What about video cards where the framebuffer does not
> provide for acceleration, but the X drivers do ?
>
> Do you plan to use the X server for better performance
> on such systems ?

According to the website it's bloat so I imagine no.
Why didn't someone think of this before, put it in the kernel
solve software bloat! </sarcasm>