2004-11-03 19:09:26

by Sai Prathap

Subject: Installing software on a knoppix CD

Hi,

I have a question regarding knoppix. If we boot from a knoppix CD, Is
it possible to get any software installed on it ? Because, whenever I
try to install something it says its not writable. Please advice.

Thanks.
Sai

2004-11-03 19:29:21

by Chris Wedgwood

Subject: Re: Installing software on a knoppix CD

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 12:06:39PM -0700, Sai Prathap wrote:

troll?

> I have a question regarding knoppix. If we boot from a knoppix CD, Is
> it possible to get any software installed on it?

not to the CD

> Because, whenever I try to install something it says its not
> writable. Please advice.

CDs aren't writable :)

2004-11-03 20:30:58

by Bill Davidsen

Sai Prathap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding knoppix. If we boot from a knoppix CD, Is
> it possible to get any software installed on it ? Because, whenever I
> try to install something it says its not writable. Please advice.

*If* there is room on the CD, you can add things to the image and burn a
new CD. The "right" method is to mount the CD and copy everything into a
directory, add the new material, run mkisofs with the right boot options
to make a bootable image, and burn the image.

If you are heavily into burning CDs, you *MIGHT* be able to extract the
ISO image, reburn it with the cdrecord -multi option, and then add your
own stuff in a second session. I haven't tried this, and if you aren't
familiar with burning multisession CDs it's eather a learning experience
or a good thing to avoid.

Check first to see if there's any room on the CD for more stuff!

--
-bill davidsen ([email protected])

by Dhaval Vasa

Hi,

Customizing knoppix is fairly easy. You should be familiar with few
commands like mkisofs, apt-get, etc.

Further information can be obtained from following url:

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

Alternatively, you may install knoppix on a harddisk and subsequently customize.

I hope this helps.

Dhaval

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:33:46 -0500, Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sai Prathap wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a question regarding knoppix. If we boot from a knoppix CD, Is
> > it possible to get any software installed on it ? Because, whenever I
> > try to install something it says its not writable. Please advice.
>
> *If* there is room on the CD, you can add things to the image and burn a
> new CD. The "right" method is to mount the CD and copy everything into a
> directory, add the new material, run mkisofs with the right boot options
> to make a bootable image, and burn the image.
>
> If you are heavily into burning CDs, you *MIGHT* be able to extract the
> ISO image, reburn it with the cdrecord -multi option, and then add your
> own stuff in a second session. I haven't tried this, and if you aren't
> familiar with burning multisession CDs it's eather a learning experience
> or a good thing to avoid.
>
> Check first to see if there's any room on the CD for more stuff!
>
> --
> -bill davidsen ([email protected])
> "The secret to procrastination is to put things off until the
> last possible moment - but no longer" -me
>

> -

by kernel

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 15:33, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Sai Prathap wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a question regarding knoppix. If we boot from a knoppix CD, Is
> > it possible to get any software installed on it ? Because, whenever I
> > try to install something it says its not writable. Please advice.

Try a different architecture - ovlfs - slax or linux-live scripts.

With this approach you can install or remove packages (in RAM, of
course) as you need. Customize your distro, run the scripts, burn your
ISO, boot something, then install or remove programs. Again, none of
these changes will exist upon reboot.

Slax takes it a step further, incorporating 'modules', which you can
load (or not) as you see fit. These can reside elsewhere, USB media,
firewire, etc.

Would be really nice, though, if you could make a bootable ISO on a
multi-session CD, leaving a free session to burn while running from
first session.

-fd