2004-11-09 11:50:29

by Nigel Kukard

Subject: ub vs. usb-storage

Hi,

Using kernel 2.6.9 bk7 and the UB driver for mass-storage I seem to see
spikes on the load-avg of over 700. There is also times of extreme
responsiveness deficiency.

Using the usb_storage driver seems to fix the problem. Is UB only meant
for low performance situations?

-Nigel

2004-11-09 16:33:12

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: ub vs. usb-storage

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:50:20AM +0000, Nigel Kukard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using kernel 2.6.9 bk7 and the UB driver for mass-storage I seem to see
> spikes on the load-avg of over 700. There is also times of extreme
> responsiveness deficiency.
>
> Using the usb_storage driver seems to fix the problem. Is UB only meant
> for low performance situations?

For now, yes.

thanks,

greg k-h

2004-11-10 23:30:42

by Pete Zaitcev

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:50:20 +0000, Nigel Kukard <[email protected]> wrote:

> Using kernel 2.6.9 bk7 and the UB driver for mass-storage I seem to see
> spikes on the load-avg of over 700. There is also times of extreme
> responsiveness deficiency.

This sounds curious. I'd like to hear more about it. Is there anything
interesting in dmesg?

-- Pete