2004-11-21 23:21:12

by Eyal Lebedinsky

Subject: help: sysrq and X

I am trying to diagnose a hard lockup. The only way I can reproduce it is
with mythtv. When the system locks up (no mouse, no activity in X, no message
logged) I can use magic sysrq, but I cannot see the output.

Using 'r' does not enable console switching. However 'b' will boot the
system, and I hope 's' and 'u' did something blindly.

I there a way to regain a text console in order to inspect the kernel?

I can connect a machine to the serial port if this will help - does
sysrq work though the serial port? Which software should I use on
the serial port (on the 'other' machine) for this purpose then?

Thanks

--
Eyal Lebedinsky ([email protected]) <http://samba.org/eyal/>

2004-11-21 23:40:17

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: help: sysrq and X

Eyal Lebedinsky <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am trying to diagnose a hard lockup. The only way I can reproduce it is
> with mythtv. When the system locks up (no mouse, no activity in X, no message
> logged) I can use magic sysrq, but I cannot see the output.
>
> Using 'r' does not enable console switching. However 'b' will boot the
> system, and I hope 's' and 'u' did something blindly.
>
> I there a way to regain a text console in order to inspect the kernel?
>
> I can connect a machine to the serial port if this will help - does
> sysrq work though the serial port? Which software should I use on
> the serial port (on the 'other' machine) for this purpose then?

Yes, serial console is the best way to do this. Add `console=ttyS0' to the
kernel boot command line and use `<break>t' to get an all-task backtrace.

If you're using minicom (spit) on the other end, Control-A F t is the
combination to use.

2004-11-21 23:47:09

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Sunday 21 November 2004 06:21 pm, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> I am trying to diagnose a hard lockup. The only way I can reproduce it is
> with mythtv. When the system locks up (no mouse, no activity in X, no message
> logged) I can use magic sysrq, but I cannot see the output.
>
> Using 'r' does not enable console switching. However 'b' will boot the
> system, and I hope 's' and 'u' did something blindly.
>
> I there a way to regain a text console in order to inspect the kernel?

Try use SysRQ+K (SAK) - 95% when my X server locks up I can use SAK and then
killall -9 X and everythig is fine.

--
Dmitry