2004-11-24 18:49:23

by David Ford

Subject: 2.6.10-rc2 and x86_64; spontaneous reboots

Is anyone else experiencing spontaneous reboots within a few minutes of
bootup? (If the system survives past the first 10 minutes, it stays up
for a long time, but it reliably does an instant reboot with no panic or
other indication a good 9 out of 10 times. The system is purely idle,
nothing going on. memtest86+ runs for hours with no failures.

David

2004-11-24 20:27:12

by Michal Schmidt

Subject: Re: 2.6.10-rc2 and x86_64; spontaneous reboots

David Ford wrote:
> Is anyone else experiencing spontaneous reboots within a few minutes of
> bootup? (If the system survives past the first 10 minutes, it stays up
> for a long time, but it reliably does an instant reboot with no panic or
> other indication a good 9 out of 10 times. The system is purely idle,
> nothing going on. memtest86+ runs for hours with no failures.

Do the restarts occur exactly 5 minutes after bootup? That would
indicate a problem with jiffies overflow. Probably some buggy driver.

Michal

2004-11-24 21:14:43

by Michal Schmidt

David Ford wrote:
> Oddly, yes. Or almost yes since I haven't measured it exactly. The
> typical reboot is right around five minutes of uptime. The three times
> that I did watch /proc/uptime, right around the 2nd column going to 300
> seconds is when it rebooted.

Well, could you send here your .config ? Do you have some strange hardware?

Michal

PS: Please don't top-post. And the challenge-response mail filter is
pretty annoying.

2004-11-24 22:25:03

by David Ford

Oddly, yes. Or almost yes since I haven't measured it exactly. The
typical reboot is right around five minutes of uptime. The three times
that I did watch /proc/uptime, right around the 2nd column going to 300
seconds is when it rebooted.

-david

Michal Schmidt wrote:

> David Ford wrote:
>
>> Is anyone else experiencing spontaneous reboots within a few minutes
>> of bootup? (If the system survives past the first 10 minutes, it
>> stays up for a long time, but it reliably does an instant reboot with
>> no panic or other indication a good 9 out of 10 times. The system is
>> purely idle, nothing going on. memtest86+ runs for hours with no
>> failures.
>

> Do the restarts occur exactly 5 minutes after bootup? That would
> indicate a problem with jiffies overflow. Probably some buggy driver.
>
> Michal

2004-11-25 02:30:13

by surya

what is the hardware

On Wed Nov 24 11:40 , David Ford <[email protected]> sent:

>Is anyone else experiencing spontaneous reboots within a few minutes of
>bootup? (If the system survives past the first 10 minutes, it stays up
>for a long time, but it reliably does an instant reboot with no panic or
>other indication a good 9 out of 10 times. The system is purely idle,
>nothing going on. memtest86+ runs for hours with no failures.
>
>David
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by David Ford

Michal Schmidt wrote:

> David Ford wrote:
>
>> Oddly, yes. Or almost yes since I haven't measured it exactly. The
>> typical reboot is right around five minutes of uptime. The three
>> times that I did watch /proc/uptime, right around the 2nd column
>> going to 300 seconds is when it rebooted.
>

> Well, could you send here your .config ? Do you have some strange
> hardware?
>
> Michal
>
> PS: Please don't top-post. And the challenge-response mail filter is
> pretty annoying.
> -
> linux-kernel" in

x86_64-config.gz (2.99 kB)

2004-11-26 22:59:58

by Michal Schmidt

[David Ford sent me some file slightly resembling .config]

Hello David,

Could you first try to completely disable CONFIG_I2C and see if the
kernel then survives the 5 minutes?

Michal