2004-11-26 21:25:58

by Aleksandar Milivojevic

Subject: network console

Has anybody attempted to implement console on network interface (with or
without encryption, preferably with some form of authentication)?
Either using TCP, UDP, Ethernet datagrams, or whatever. Possibly with
LILO support so that LILO prompt can be accessed through it too (OK,
LILO support is probably *way* too much to ask for, but maybe some other
more complex boot loader?).

I know the security implications of using such an console, but for my
home environment, if something like that existed it would be quite
handy. I have a box with no keyboard/monitor, and to use serial console
I'd have to route loooooong serial cable through half of my house, and I
already have network cable in place (took me half of the day to route
that one, and another half of the day to wash myself from all the dirt
and dust hidden in most obscure places that light of the day never touches).

If such a beast exists, what would be required on the client side?
Linux-only client, or is there Windows client too?

TIA,
Alex

2004-11-27 02:45:40

by Christian Kujau

Subject: Re: network console

Aleksandar Milivojevic schrieb:
> Has anybody attempted to implement console on network interface (with or

please read Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt.

> If such a beast exists, what would be required on the client side?
> Linux-only client, or is there Windows client too?

client? well, the machine with netconsole-enabled kernel would be the
"client", the machine with the syslog daemon would be the "server".

--
BOFH excuse #202:

kernel panic: write-only-memory (/dev/wom0) capacity exceeded.

2004-11-29 14:28:19

by Aleksandar Milivojevic

Christian Kujau wrote:
> Aleksandar Milivojevic schrieb:
>
>>Has anybody attempted to implement console on network interface (with or
>

> please read Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but having kernel printk messages sent
to remote host will be helpfull too. What I had in mind was actually
having two-way fully functional network console (something I could also
use to log onto the machine, say if I screw up firewall settings and
lock myself out).

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <[email protected]> Pollard Banknote Limited
Systems Administrator 1499 Buffalo Place