2005-01-02 03:04:45

by Eugene K

Subject: How to start

For many years I've been involved in OS/kernel and
network development on various platforms (including
Intel86) and OSes, but I am totally new to Linux. What
would be an optimal way for somebody like me to learn
both Linux driver development and Linux Kernel
internals ?

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

2005-01-02 03:25:53

by Jim Nelson

Subject: Re: How to start

Eugene K wrote:
> For many years I've been involved in OS/kernel and
> network development on various platforms (including
> Intel86) and OSes, but I am totally new to Linux. What
> would be an optimal way for somebody like me to learn
> both Linux driver development and Linux Kernel
> internals ?

Hit http://www.dit.upm.es/~jmseyas/linux/kernel/hackers-docs.html - has a good
selection of dead-tree and online references. The kernel-janitors project -
http://www.kerneljanitors.org/ - is a good starting point; that's where a lot of
kernel hackers get their start.

2005-01-02 13:38:38

by Pedro Venda

Jim Nelson wrote:
> Eugene K wrote:
>
>> For many years I've been involved in OS/kernel and
>> network development on various platforms (including
>> Intel86) and OSes, but I am totally new to Linux. What
>> would be an optimal way for somebody like me to learn
>> both Linux driver development and Linux Kernel
>> internals ?

this has been very recently asked on the list. some of the suggested answers were:

books:

. linux kernel development by robert love
. linux device drivers by Alessandro Rubini and Jonathan Corbet.
. understanding linux kernel by Daniel P. Bovet and Marco Cesati.

(last two will have new editions soon covering 2.6 kernels)

regards,
pedro venda.
--

Pedro Jo?o Lopes Venda
email: [email protected]

2005-01-02 13:40:20

by Pedro Venda

2005-01-02 14:36:34

by Christoph Anton Mitterer

What about http://kernelnewbies.org/?
I'm also extremely new in the kernel-programming scene (have done my
first post to lkml just two days ago ;-) ) and I tried to start there...

cam.

Attachments:
cam.vcf (450.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

by Lethalman

Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> What about http://kernelnewbies.org/?
> I'm also extremely new in the kernel-programming scene (have done my
> first post to lkml just two days ago ;-) ) and I tried to start there...
>
> cam.

Me too :) i made some few patch since about a week

--
http://www.iosn.it * Amministratore Italian Open Source Network
http://www.fyrebird.net * Fyrebird Hosting Provider - Technical Department

2005-01-03 06:22:47

by Kotian, Deepak

>>. linux kernel development by robert love
This seems to be pretty good.

>>. linux device drivers by Alessandro Rubini and Jonathan Corbet.
When is this expected, a week,a month..