2005-01-04 19:35:15

by Jiri Gaisler

Subject: [0/7] LEON SPARC V8 processor support for linux-2.6.10

This is a set of patches containing support for the open-source
LEON SPARC V8 processor. The processor was originally developed
for critical space applications by the European Space Agency (ESA),
and is now maintained and further developed by Gaisler Research.
LEON is also frequently being used in (ground-based) commercial
and research application, which lead to the development of the
of the linux-2.6 port.

The patches include support for both the original LEON2 core,
and the newer LEON3. The MMU in both cores is more or less
identical, implementing the V8 SRMMU specification with a
virtual cache. The linux-2.6.x port (as well as a uClinux port)
has been available for some time in a custom version of the
snapgear embedded linux distro. I believe it has matured enough
to be included in the mainstream kernel.

The LEON support is divided on 7 patches:

linux-2.6.10: Kernel patches:
----------------------------------

[1/7] diff2.6.10_include_asm_sparc.diff: diff for include/asm-sparc
[2/7] diff2.6.10_arch_sparc.diff: diff for arch/sparc
[3/7] diff2.6.10_drivers_sbus.diff: diff for drivers/sbus

Leon3 serial+ethermac driver:
-------------------------------------

[4/7] diff2.6.10_driver_amba.diff diff for drivers/amba
[5/7] diff2.6.10_arch_sparc_Kocnfig.diff diff for arch/sparc/Kconfig

Leon2 serial+ethermac driver:
-------------------------------------

[6/7] diff2.6.10_driver_net.diff: diff for drivers/net
[7/7] diff2.6.10_driver_serial.diff: diff for drivers/serial

I am not sure that the pathes for serial and ethernet drivers
should be sent to the sparclinux list. If not, please advise on
where I should submit them.

More info on LEON is available at http://www.gaisler.com

Jiri Gaisler.

2005-01-04 19:37:59

by William Lee Irwin III

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:03:23PM +0100, Jiri Gaisler wrote:
> I am not sure that the pathes for serial and ethernet drivers
> should be sent to the sparclinux list. If not, please advise on
> where I should submit them.

Jeff Garzik and [email protected] generally handle network drivers.

Russell King and [email protected] probably handle
serial drivers considered for inclusion.

I don't have a particularly organized or sophisticated plan for a
staged merging of the drivers. If either should care to absorb the
drivers instead of merely acking them, it's just as well. Both will
generally see anything going across linux-kernel.

-- wli