2005-01-09 16:26:09

by Roseline Bonchamp

Subject: remove Attach another file remove Attach another file remove Attach another file USB mass storage not always detecting my 1GB PQI intelligent stick

Hello,

my 1 GB PQI Intelligent Stick is often not beeing used by mass storage
driver when I plug it.

>From a fresh reboot it works, I see:
Jan 9 16:54:43 parachute kernel: usb 1-3: new high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 2
Jan 9 16:54:43 parachute kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices
Jan 9 16:54:48 parachute kernel: Vendor: I-Stick2 Model:
IntelligentStick Rev: 2.00
Jan 9 16:54:48 parachute kernel: Type: Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Jan 9 16:54:49 parachute kernel: sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:

then a lot of other stuff, and I can use it.

But if I unplug/replug it, it's not longer detected as mass storage
device. I can see 3 new USB devices detected when I plug it:
kernel: usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5

But it's no longer beeing detected as mass storage.

I have other USB 2.0 keys which are working perfectly. Moreover this
USB key seems to work properly on some other machines/OSes

In the attached file, full log and result of lspci.

Roseline

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.19 kB)
kern.log (3.83 kB)

by Indrek Kruusa

mama Smurf wrote:

>Hello,
>
>my 1 GB PQI Intelligent Stick is often not beeing used by mass storage
>driver when I plug it.

Do you have several different USB devices connected in the same time? It
is possible that devices with different USB speed (high/full) cannot
work together. I am not the kernel developer but this is just my
experience with latest Linux distributions. The situation can be
different with current USB developments.

regards,
Indrek

2005-01-09 19:12:57

by Roseline Bonchamp

> Do you have several different USB devices connected in the same time? It
> is possible that devices with different USB speed (high/full) cannot
> work together. I am not the kernel developer but this is just my
> experience with latest Linux distributions. The situation can be
> different with current USB developments.

I tried to remove every other USB device. What is really strange is
that it works when I've just booted Linux, but if I unplug/replug the
device it seems to be "detected", but is not listed in
/proc/bus/usb/devices

2005-01-09 19:27:47

by Indrek Kruusa

Which distro/kernel do you have? Have you looked at your distro's
bugzilla/buglist? Have you all latest update packages installed?

Roseline Bonchamp wrote:

>>Do you have several different USB devices connected in the same time? It
>>is possible that devices with different USB speed (high/full) cannot
>>work together. I am not the kernel developer but this is just my
>>experience with latest Linux distributions. The situation can be
>>different with current USB developments.
>>

>I tried to remove every other USB device. What is really strange is
>that it works when I've just booted Linux, but if I unplug/replug the
>device it seems to be "detected", but is not listed in
>/proc/bus/usb/devices
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]
>
>.

2005-01-09 22:17:48

by Roseline Bonchamp

> Which distro/kernel do you have? Have you looked at your distro's
> bugzilla/buglist? Have you all latest update packages installed?

I use kernel 2.6.10 vanilla.

The distro has nothing to do here I suppose, but it's debian unstable.