2005-02-16 20:21:17

by Oliver Antwerpen

Subject: Bug in SLES8 kernel 2.4.x freezing HP DL740/760

Hi out there,

If there is anybody out there using SLES8 on HP ProLiant DL740/760:
BEWARE!

SuSE has patched UNICON into the kernel which will cause these servers
to hang when booted with vga=normal. The system will run fine in
fb-mode, but not in plain text.

I cannot see, where this UNICON-patch comes from, it seems that is has
been developed by some turbolinux-coders.

HP and SuSE have not been able to either fix this problem or at least
warn someone about this bug, so I will do it now.
The bug is known since Nov 13th 2004.

If there should be anybody who can help, please contact me.

I hope this information will help someone to not run into deep trouble.

Oliver Antwerpen

2005-02-16 20:50:08

by Matthias-Christian Ott

Subject: Re: Bug in SLES8 kernel 2.4.x freezing HP DL740/760

Oliver Antwerpen wrote:

> Hi out there,
>
> If there is anybody out there using SLES8 on HP ProLiant DL740/760:
> BEWARE!
>
> SuSE has patched UNICON into the kernel which will cause these servers
> to hang when booted with vga=normal. The system will run fine in
> fb-mode, but not in plain text.
>
> I cannot see, where this UNICON-patch comes from, it seems that is has
> been developed by some turbolinux-coders.
>
> HP and SuSE have not been able to either fix this problem or at least
> warn someone about this bug, so I will do it now.
> The bug is known since Nov 13th 2004.
>
> If there should be anybody who can help, please contact me.
>
> I hope this information will help someone to not run into deep trouble.
>
> Oliver Antwerpen
>

> -
> linux-kernel" in

Well if you don't need unicon, then remove the patch from the .spec file
and rebuild the kernel (from the source rpm). Or report it their bug
tracking system.

Matthias-Christian Ott

2005-02-16 21:03:19

by Oliver Antwerpen

Hi,

Matthias-Christian Ott schrieb:
> Oliver Antwerpen wrote:
>
>> SuSE has patched UNICON into the kernel which will cause these servers
>> to hang when booted with vga=normal. The system will run fine in
>> fb-mode, but not in plain text.
>
> Well if you don't need unicon, then remove the patch from the .spec file
> and rebuild the kernel (from the source rpm). Or report it their bug
> tracking system.

My problem ist, that when I change .config, then I lose my support. So
SuSE or HP have to tell me to do so.

Oliver

2005-02-17 10:28:29

by Bernd Petrovitsch

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 22:03 +0100, Oliver Antwerpen wrote:
> Matthias-Christian Ott schrieb:
> > Oliver Antwerpen wrote:
> >> SuSE has patched UNICON into the kernel which will cause these servers
> >> to hang when booted with vga=normal. The system will run fine in
> >> fb-mode, but not in plain text.
> >
> > Well if you don't need unicon, then remove the patch from the .spec file
> > and rebuild the kernel (from the source rpm). Or report it their bug
> > tracking system.
>
> My problem ist, that when I change .config, then I lose my support. So
> SuSE or HP have to tell me to do so.

And they listen here to you?

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55

2005-02-17 13:08:44

by Marc Cramdal

Subject: AMD 64 and Kernel AGPart support

Hello,

I have an AMD 64 (gentoo compiled for amd64) and I would like to succeed in my
video driver installation (ATI Radeon 9250 :-/). I would need the agpgart
support for the Sis Chipset, but all the entry for agpgart are grayed, I
can't change anything (Kernel 2.6.9, 2.6.10 ...)

So is it normal or a bug ?? , or am I making a mistake.

NB: one of my friends made the test, without AMD64 and exactly the same kernel
he can check these options within agpgart...

Thanks,
Marc

2005-02-17 13:22:15

by Thomas Winischhofer

Subject: Re: AMD 64 and Kernel AGPart support

2005-02-17 14:43:42

by Paolo Ornati

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:08:32 +0100
Marc Cramdal <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have an AMD 64 (gentoo compiled for amd64) and I would like to
> succeed in my video driver installation (ATI Radeon 9250 :-/). I would
> need the agpgart support for the Sis Chipset, but all the entry for
> agpgart are grayed, I can't change anything (Kernel 2.6.9, 2.6.10 ...)
>
> So is it normal or a bug ?? , or am I making a mistake.

I have an AMD Athlon64 with Radeon 9200SE on VIA K8T800 Chipset... and
AGP works fine with only CONFIG_AGP_AMD64 enabled.

The fact is that these AMD processors have an "on-CPU northbridge" for
AGP, and the support for the various external AGP bridges (VIA, SiS,
Nvidia) is provided directly in "drivers/char/agp/amd64-agp.c" driver
(selected by CONFIG_AGP_AMD64).

Reading "drivers/char/agp/amd64-agp.c" I can see that "SIS 755" chipset
is supported.

If you have a chipset that isn't supported you can always try with the
"agp_try_unsupported=1" option (as stated in the HELP of
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64).

> NB: one of my friends made the test, without AMD64 and exactly the
> same kernel he can check these options within agpgart...

You don't have to be on a i386 to see the options avaiable for i386...
just do a "make menuconfig ARCH=i386" and you are done!

But if you are on x86_64, why do you want to enable drivers for other
architectures?

--
Paolo Ornati
Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.10-gentoo-r7)

2005-02-17 15:14:40

by Paolo Ornati

Subject: Re: ________________: Re: AMD 64 and Kernel AGPart support

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:42:50 +0100
[email protected] wrote:

> ???ã?
> ????_??յ_?????_??

and... what does this means?

--
Paolo Ornati
Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.10-gentoo-r7)

2005-02-17 15:29:30

by Parag Warudkar

On Thursday 17 February 2005 10:10 am, Paolo Ornati wrote:
> > ???ã?
> > ? ? ????_??յ_?????_??
>
> and... what does this means?
SPAM. This looks to me like a new way of spamming though, replying to valid
mailing list messages. (I too received couple of these in reply to my
messages.)

Parag

2005-02-17 15:33:33

by Paolo Ornati

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:26:55 -0500
Parag Warudkar <[email protected]> wrote:

> SPAM. This looks to me like a new way of spamming though, replying to
> valid mailing list messages. (I too received couple of these in reply
> to my messages.)

agrrr.. and I've done a mistake replying!

--
Paolo Ornati
Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.10-gentoo-r7)

2005-02-17 17:02:37

by Adrian Bunk

Subject: spam mails with the same Message-ID

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:26:55AM -0500, Parag Warudkar wrote:
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 10:10 am, Paolo Ornati wrote:
> > > ???ã?
> > > ? ? ????_??յ_?????_??
> >
> > and... what does this means?
> SPAM. This looks to me like a new way of spamming though, replying to valid
> mailing list messages. (I too received couple of these in reply to my
> messages.)

The most interesting fact seems to be that these spam messages have the
same message ID as the original Mails.

If you run a program that automatically discards duplicate mails and the
spam message reaches you faster than the original email through
linux-kernel (which seems to often happen with these mails), the
original email will be discarded.

I don't know whether these are known attacks, but the automatic
discarding of duplicated emails offers attackers nice opportunities if
they know a message ID (as with these emails) or can guess the
message ID (since many MUAs have predictable message IDs, an attacker C
could use this to suppress a message from person A to person B by
sending an email with the message ID to person B bevor person B gets
the email from person A).

> Parag

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2005-02-17 19:51:14

by Matthias-Christian Ott

Subject: Re: spam mails with the same Message-ID

Adrian Bunk wrote:

>>>and... what does this means?
>>>

>>SPAM. This looks to me like a new way of spamming though, replying to valid
>>mailing list messages. (I too received couple of these in reply to my
>>messages.)
>>

>The most interesting fact seems to be that these spam messages have the
>same message ID as the original Mails.
>
>If you run a program that automatically discards duplicate mails and the
>spam message reaches you faster than the original email through
>linux-kernel (which seems to often happen with these mails), the
>original email will be discarded.
>
>I don't know whether these are known attacks, but the automatic
>discarding of duplicated emails offers attackers nice opportunities if
>they know a message ID (as with these emails) or can guess the
>message ID (since many MUAs have predictable message IDs, an attacker C
>could use this to suppress a message from person A to person B by
>sending an email with the message ID to person B bevor person B gets
>the email from person A).
>

>>Parag
>>

>cu
>Adrian

The spamers become always cleverer :-) .

Matthias-Christian Ott

2005-02-18 17:07:30

by Marc Cramdal

Subject: Sis760 chipset support

Hello,

I can't make agpgart working (even when trying the agp_try_unsupported)
option. I have an AMD64 3000+ with a Sis760 chipset and agp doesn't seem to
be supported : I only get this with dmesg : "Linux agpgart interface v0.100
(c) Dave Jones". That's all...

So, is Sis760 chipset supported for agpgart under linux kernel ? if not, is
there plan to be, tweaks to do (I even tried the Sis Chipset driver
for !x86_64 by removing this entry in KConfig ... ) ?

Marc

2005-02-19 04:45:16

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: Sis760 chipset support

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 07:07:16PM +0100, Marc Cramdal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can't make agpgart working (even when trying the agp_try_unsupported)
> option. I have an AMD64 3000+ with a Sis760 chipset and agp doesn't seem to
> be supported : I only get this with dmesg : "Linux agpgart interface v0.100
> (c) Dave Jones". That's all...
>
> So, is Sis760 chipset supported for agpgart under linux kernel ? if not, is
> there plan to be, tweaks to do (I even tried the Sis Chipset driver
> for !x86_64 by removing this entry in KConfig ... ) ?

amd64 should be using the amd64-agp driver, as your agpgart is on-cpu
on that platform.

Dave