2005-02-21 23:28:13

by ben soo

Subject: 2.6.11-rc4 seems broken for Nforce2 chipset

Hi;

i'm crashing my box twice a day running 2.6.11-rc4
when i turn on the Athlon-XP CPU bus disconnect.

When network activity is up over maybe 120KB/s and
i'm playing a video file at the same time, then
chances are good i'll lock up the box.

Box runs a Chaintech Summit 7NIF2 with 1G RAM and
an Audigy 2 sound card. When it locks up sometimes
the sound card goes into a little loop where it
replays approx the half second of audio leading
up to the lockup.

by Andre Tomt

Subject: Re: 2.6.11-rc4 seems broken for Nforce2 chipset

really bensoo_at_soo_dot_com wrote:
> Hi;
>
> i'm crashing my box twice a day running 2.6.11-rc4
> when i turn on the Athlon-XP CPU bus disconnect.
>
> When network activity is up over maybe 120KB/s and
> i'm playing a video file at the same time, then
> chances are good i'll lock up the box.
>
> Box runs a Chaintech Summit 7NIF2 with 1G RAM and
> an Audigy 2 sound card. When it locks up sometimes
> the sound card goes into a little loop where it
> replays approx the half second of audio leading
> up to the lockup.

Bus disconnect have never been reliable on my Athlon XP 1800+,
regardless of operating system.

2005-02-22 07:30:31

by ben soo

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 12:44:30AM +0100, Andre Tomt wrote:
> really bensoo_at_soo_dot_com wrote:
> >i'm crashing my box twice a day running 2.6.11-rc4
> >when i turn on the Athlon-XP CPU bus disconnect.
[...]
> Bus disconnect have never been reliable on my Athlon XP 1800+,
> regardless of operating system.

i have an old ECS mboard and an old MSI
board where that's true, but that's
because the mboards' too old and their
hardware actually weren't designed to
work with bus disconnect turned on.

The newer one's i have all work ok with
the last few iterations of the Linux
kernel and i've had uptimes that spanned
the weeks between kernel upgrades. Until
the latest 2.6.11-rc4 anyway.