2005-02-27 18:43:53

by Torben Viets

Subject: XFS dm_crypt BUG?

Hello,

I have a problem with the XFS-filesystem, I use the Kernel 2.6.10 and
2.6.11-rc4 and rc5 everytime the same behavior.

I have a RAID 5(md0) with 3 disks on md0 (chunk-size 128) there is a
logical volume (/dev/data/mp3-crypt) which is crypted with AES and the
encrypted version ist under /dev/mapper/mp3, if the filestem on it is
xfs and then copie some files on it then I get a kernel panic, mostly on
greater files (>200MB), if I make the same thing with ext3 there is no
problem. My first thougt was that the problem is that I make a snapshot
of the device, but if i remove this it won't work anyway.

My sytem is a Pentium4 1800Mhz
512 MB SDRAM

I can't show you the kernel panic message, because I didn't found it in
the syslog, it is only on the screen,

I'm not sure what infos you need too.

greetings
Torben Viets

2005-02-27 19:34:39

by Steve Lord

Subject: Re: XFS dm_crypt BUG?

Torben Viets wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with the XFS-filesystem, I use the Kernel 2.6.10 and
> 2.6.11-rc4 and rc5 everytime the same behavior.
>
> I have a RAID 5(md0) with 3 disks on md0 (chunk-size 128) there is a
> logical volume (/dev/data/mp3-crypt) which is crypted with AES and the
> encrypted version ist under /dev/mapper/mp3, if the filestem on it is
> xfs and then copie some files on it then I get a kernel panic, mostly on
> greater files (>200MB), if I make the same thing with ext3 there is no
> problem. My first thougt was that the problem is that I make a snapshot
> of the device, but if i remove this it won't work anyway.
>
> My sytem is a Pentium4 1800Mhz
> 512 MB SDRAM
>
> I can't show you the kernel panic message, because I didn't found it in
> the syslog, it is only on the screen,
>
> I'm not sure what infos you need too.
>
> greetings
> Torben Viets

The complete kernel panic is what is needed to get anywhere with this.

If all else fails, get a digital camera and take a picture of it,
although you may need to reconfigure your console to get enough lines
displayed. A console down a serial line to another computer is the best
way of capturing these though.

Just on a hunch, check if you have 4K stacks turned on, if you do, go
back to 8K stacks and see if that cures it.

Steve

2005-02-27 22:23:46

by Nathan Scott

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 01:34:31PM -0600, Stephen Lord wrote:
> Torben Viets wrote:
> >
> > I have a RAID 5(md0) with 3 disks on md0 (chunk-size 128) there is a
> > I can't show you the kernel panic message, because I didn't found it in
> > the syslog, it is only on the screen,
> Just on a hunch, check if you have 4K stacks turned on, if you do, go
> back to 8K stacks and see if that cures it.

Also (if still an option) try mkfs'ing the filesystem with
a sector size matching your blocksize (eg. -ssize=4k), which
will make XFS's IO patterns a little more uniform. This has
resolved RAID5 driver confusion in the past, so worth a shot.

cheers.

--
Nathan

2005-03-13 14:24:39

by Torben Viets

Hello,

it works with Kernel 2.6.11, probably the problem was that I had used 4
kb stacks and now I use the 8kb, but I'm not sure whether this was the
problem.

greetings
Torben Viets