2005-02-26 18:12:39

by Jean Delvare

Subject: [RFT] Preliminary w83627ehf hardware monitoring driver

Hi all,

I have been working on a w83627ehf hardware monitoring driver. The
W83627EHF is a Super-I/O chip made by Winbond. Like other chips of the
family (W83627HF, W83697HF, W83627THF...), it integrates hardware
monitoring functions. Of these, my preliminary driver only handles
temperature and fan inputs at the moment. I lack time and do not have
hardware to test it, so I will not improve it significantly in a near
future.

So that my work isn't lost, I am releasing it today in the form of a
patch against linux-2.6.11-rc5 (attached). You can also obtain it here
for now:
http://jdelvare.net1.nerim.net/sensors/linux-2.6.11-rc5-i2c-w83627ehf-beta1.diff

If it could get some testing, I would possibly get this is the main
kernel tree, so that at least what is implemented can be used, and
anyone interested in improving it would have a base to start from.

The W83627EHF doesn't seem to be found on many motherboards, but a quick
searched listed these ones:
* Asus P5AD2 Premium
* Asus P5GD1-VM
* Asus P5GD2 Premium
* Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe
* Asus P5P800
So if you have any of these motherboards (or any other with a W83627EHF
chip, for that matter), I would welcome any feedback about my driver.

Jean Delvare

Attachments:
linux-2.6.11-rc5-i2c-w83627ehf-beta1.diff (23.87 kB)

2005-02-27 13:11:01

by Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 07:11:42PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working on a w83627ehf hardware monitoring driver. The
> W83627EHF is a Super-I/O chip made by Winbond. Like other chips of the
> family (W83627HF, W83697HF, W83627THF...), it integrates hardware
> monitoring functions. Of these, my preliminary driver only handles
> temperature and fan inputs at the moment. I lack time and do not have
> hardware to test it, so I will not improve it significantly in a near
> future.

Hi!

Do you know about driver for W83627THF watchdog? I'm using Supermicro P8SCI
motherboard, and I haven't found working driver for it..

Thanks!

-- Pasi K?rkk?inen

^
. .
Linux
/ - \
Choice.of.the
.Next.Generation.

2005-02-27 17:54:15

by Jean Delvare

Hi Pasi,

> Do you know about driver for W83627THF watchdog? I'm using Supermicro
> P8SCI motherboard, and I haven't found working driver for it..

Have you tried w83627hf_wdt? I took a quick look at the W83627HF and
W83627THF datasheets and watchdog timer seems to work identically. Since
the driver doesn't seem to identify the chip (it probably should, BTW),
I'd expect it to work.

Hope that helps,
--
Jean Delvare

2005-02-28 07:50:20

by Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 06:48:37PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Pasi,
>
> > Do you know about driver for W83627THF watchdog? I'm using Supermicro
> > P8SCI motherboard, and I haven't found working driver for it..
>
> Have you tried w83627hf_wdt? I took a quick look at the W83627HF and
> W83627THF datasheets and watchdog timer seems to work identically. Since
> the driver doesn't seem to identify the chip (it probably should, BTW),
> I'd expect it to work.

Yes, I have tried it. It doesn't work.

The machine reboots always after the watchdog timeout set in the BIOS. I've
tried with the example watchdog daemon from the watchdog.txt, and with the
Debian "watchdog" package.

When I enable the debug messages and logging in the Debian watchdog package,
I can see that the watchdog daemon gets stuck while trying to update the
/dev/watchdog.. so the driver hangs..

-- Pasi K?rkk?inen

^
. .
Linux
/ - \
Choice.of.the
.Next.Generation.

2005-02-28 11:02:19

by Jean Delvare

Hi Pasi,

> > Have you tried w83627hf_wdt? I took a quick look at the W83627HF and
> > W83627THF datasheets and watchdog timer seems to work identically. Since
> > the driver doesn't seem to identify the chip (it probably should, BTW),
> > I'd expect it to work.
>
> Yes, I have tried it. It doesn't work.
>
> The machine reboots always after the watchdog timeout set in the BIOS. I've
> tried with the example watchdog daemon from the watchdog.txt, and with the
> Debian "watchdog" package.
>
> When I enable the debug messages and logging in the Debian watchdog
> package, I can see that the watchdog daemon gets stuck while trying to
> update the /dev/watchdog.. so the driver hangs..

I am not familiar with watchdogs. I'd invite you to get in touch with
the author and/or maintainer of the w83627hf_wdt driver, or possibly try
to debug it yourself. Datasheets are freely available from Winbond for
both the W83627HF and W83627THF:
http://www.winbond.com/e-winbondhtm/partner/b_2_d_2.htm

I do not own a system with either chip myself, so I can hardly help. (If
anyone wants to donate a system with either chip so that I can work on
this, just contact me.)

--
Jean Delvare

2005-02-28 11:19:35

by Pádraig Brady

Jean Delvare wrote:
> I am not familiar with watchdogs. I'd invite you to get in touch with
> the author and/or maintainer of the w83627hf_wdt driver, or possibly try
> to debug it yourself. Datasheets are freely available from Winbond for
> both the W83627HF and W83627THF:
> http://www.winbond.com/e-winbondhtm/partner/b_2_d_2.htm

He already contacted me (indirectly).
A test program I sent showed the timer in the winbond
counting down, but the reboot never happened.
I would need to get access to the hardware to debug further.

--
P?draig Brady - http://www.pixelbeat.org