2005-04-09 22:18:08

by H. Peter Anvin

Subject: Status of new kernel.org servers

For those of you that are interested...

The second new kernel.org server, named, ironically enough,
zeus1.kernel.org went into the racks and, shortly thereafter, into
production Friday. The only service that isn't served from both
servers at this time is mirrors.kernel.org for the simple reason that
it's still syncing on zeus1; it will probably be turned on early next
week.

As a consequence, all kernel.org services are now round-robin between
two hosts. You can also hit a specific host by appending a digit,
e.g. ftp1.kernel.org, or mirrors2.kernel.org.

When one server is offline, we'll change the round-robin names to only
point to the one host that is in operation.

As some of you noticed, there was a problem early on which made
uploads lag behind; it has now been corrected and uploads should be
significantly faster than they have been in a long time.

As usual, please report problems to [email protected]. As far as we
know, the transition problems have been taken care of and all should
be well.

-hpa

P.S. Again, thanks to HP for the new servers and to ISC for hosting
them.

2005-04-09 23:15:18

by H. Peter Anvin

Subject: Re: Status of new kernel.org servers

Andre Tomt wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>> For those of you that are interested...
>
> <snip>
>
> I kind of sort of miss the load and bandwidth statistics on the
> kernel.org front page. Did they just go boring now with sufficient
> hardware resources? :-)

No; the issue there is that with multiple servers we have to change the
way they're generated and distributed. Nathan Laredo is working on
that, but it's so obviously not a high priority item.

-hpa

2005-04-09 23:11:11

by Andre Tomt

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> For those of you that are interested...
<snip>

I kind of sort of miss the load and bandwidth statistics on the
kernel.org front page. Did they just go boring now with sufficient
hardware resources? :-)

2005-04-10 06:09:31

by H. Peter Anvin

Both the new kernel.org servers are now in full production, including
mirrors.

Enjoy, and as usual, report problems to <[email protected]>.

-hpa

2005-04-10 21:32:21

by J.A. Magallon

On 04.10, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Andre Tomt wrote:
> > H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >
> >> For those of you that are interested...
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > I kind of sort of miss the load and bandwidth statistics on the
> > kernel.org front page. Did they just go boring now with sufficient
> > hardware resources? :-)
>
> No; the issue there is that with multiple servers we have to change the
> way they're generated and distributed. Nathan Laredo is working on
> that, but it's so obviously not a high priority item.

How about a ganglia stats page ?

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()able!es> \ Software is like sex:
werewolf!able!es \ It's better when it's free