2005-04-15 18:11:34

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: [SATA] status reports updated

My Linux SATA software/hardware status reports have just been updated.
To see where libata (SATA) support stands for a particular piece of
hardware, or a particular feature, go to

http://linux.yyz.us/sata/

I've still got several patches from EMC (Brett) and IBM (Albert) to go
through, as well as a few scattered ones from random authors.

I'm still working in BitKeeper for the time being.

Jeff

2005-04-15 18:21:53

by Joe Harvell

Subject: Re: [SATA] status reports updated

Jeff:

You need to add a comment about the SATAII TX2/TX4 boards indicating
users have experienced data corruption with the sata_promise driver and
the SATAII TX4 board.

I've posted several emails to linux-ide about this. Why haven't you
responded?

Promise TX2/TX4

[snip]

Update 2005/04/15: Support for the NCQ-capable SATAII TX2/TX4 boards was
recently added. NCQ support is waiting on libata core.

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 13:09, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> My Linux SATA software/hardware status reports have just been updated.
> To see where libata (SATA) support stands for a particular piece of
> hardware, or a particular feature, go to
>
> http://linux.yyz.us/sata/
>
> I've still got several patches from EMC (Brett) and IBM (Albert) to go
> through, as well as a few scattered ones from random authors.
>
> I'm still working in BitKeeper for the time being.
>
> Jeff
>

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in
Joe Harvell

by Jeff Garzik

Joe Harvell wrote:
> Jeff:
>
> You need to add a comment about the SATAII TX2/TX4 boards indicating
> users have experienced data corruption with the sata_promise driver and
> the SATAII TX4 board.
>
> I've posted several emails to linux-ide about this. Why haven't you
> responded?

I've seen reports on the SX4, but not on the SATAII TX4.

URLs to messages you posted?

JEff

2005-04-15 18:55:22

by Tomasz Chmielewski

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> My Linux SATA software/hardware status reports have just been updated.
> To see where libata (SATA) support stands for a particular piece of
> hardware, or a particular feature, go to
>
> http://linux.yyz.us/sata/

A nice thing in FAQ would be some info on problematic (blacklisted) SATA
hardware that runs on Linux (vide "poor SATA performance under 2.6.11
(with < 2.6.11 is OK)?" thread), like Silicon Image 311x controllers +
some Seagate drives [1].

Tomek

[1] although my drive is blacklisted (Seagate barracuda - ST3200822AS),
I "unblacklisted" it to get full performance - it's under heavy stress
for 12th hour, and still no error.

Teraz na tapecie mamy najwiekszego z silaczy.
Sciagnij >> http://link.interia.pl/f1873 <<

2005-04-15 19:01:51

by Joe Harvell

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=111029414823303&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=111054989026053&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=111214149529209&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=111230129320297&w=2

--
Joe Harvell

by Andre Tomt

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
<
> [1] although my drive is blacklisted (Seagate barracuda - ST3200822AS),
> I "unblacklisted" it to get full performance - it's under heavy stress
> for 12th hour, and still no error.

It could be that your drive has newer firmware. Too bad firmware
upgrades for HD's are hard to come by nowadays.

Andr? Tomt

2005-04-15 19:37:23

by Tomasz Chmielewski

Andre Tomt wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> <
>
>> [1] although my drive is blacklisted (Seagate barracuda -
>> ST3200822AS), I "unblacklisted" it to get full performance - it's
>> under heavy stress for 12th hour, and still no error.
>

> It could be that your drive has newer firmware. Too bad firmware
> upgrades for HD's are hard to come by nowadays.

Is there a way to check what firmware a drive has (either by using some
software - which would be the best option, or by reading a label on a
drive)?

If so, we might compile some list to be put in the FAQ?

There was also a post on the list -
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0503.1/0827.html -
suggesting that upgrading Silicon Image BIOS helped resolving these
problems.

So it might be newer drive firmware, or newer SATA card BIOS (or both)
that makes my "sil + seagate" combination usable.

Tomek

Startuj z INTERIA.PL! >>> http://link.interia.pl/f186c

2005-04-15 22:50:05

by Bodo Eggert

Tomasz Chmielewski <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is there a way to check what firmware a drive has

The obvious one: hdparm
--
"Just because you are paranoid, do'nt mean they're not after you."
-- K.Cobain

Fri?, Spammer: [email protected] [email protected]

2005-04-15 23:27:52

by Måns Rullgård

Tomasz Chmielewski <[email protected]> writes:

> Andre Tomt wrote:
>> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> <
>>
>>> [1] although my drive is blacklisted (Seagate barracuda -
>>> ST3200822AS), I "unblacklisted" it to get full performance - it's
>>> under heavy stress for 12th hour, and still no error.
>> It could be that your drive has newer firmware. Too bad firmware
>> upgrades for HD's are hard to come by nowadays.
>
> Is there a way to check what firmware a drive has (either by using
> some software - which would be the best option, or by reading a label
> on a drive)?

Seagate drives have the firmware version printed on the label. The
version is also visible in "dmesg" output:

Vendor: ATA Model: ST3160827AS Rev: 3.03

The "Rev" number is the firmware version.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Bodo Eggert

Bodo Eggert <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Is there a way to check what firmware a drive has
>
> The obvious one: hdparm

<Ingrid>
Or, since hdparm doesn't work for SCSI devices,
cat /sys/block/sd$n/device/rev

(might depend on the vendor)
--
Funny quotes:
21. Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Fri?, Spammer: [email protected] [email protected]

2005-04-16 02:36:52

by Andy Lutomirski

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> My Linux SATA software/hardware status reports have just been updated.
> To see where libata (SATA) support stands for a particular piece of
> hardware, or a particular feature, go to
>
> http://linux.yyz.us/sata/

What's the timeline on getting sata-promise's PATA support into
mainline? I've been 2.6.11-gentoo-r2, which includes this feature, for
weeks now, and it's been perfectly stable (including md's RAID5) using
the PATA port. It would be nice to be able to run my system with a
mainline kernel.

The broken-out patch that Gentoo is using is here:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/gentoo-dev-sources/release-11.01/dist/4320_promise-pdc2037x.patch

Thanks,
Andy

2005-04-16 10:58:36

by Tomasz Chmielewski

Bodo Eggert <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bodo Eggert <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Tomasz Chmielewski <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>Is there a way to check what firmware a drive has
>>
>>The obvious one: hdparm
>

> <Ingrid>
> Or, since hdparm doesn't work for SCSI devices,
> cat /sys/block/sd$n/device/rev
>
> (might depend on the vendor)

Oh, indeed!

# cat /sys/block/sda/device/rev
3.01

So what about SATA blacklisting based on a model/firmware version rather
than on a model only?

My model (ST3200822AS) is blacklisted, though I'm stress-testing it for
the second day and nothing happened, so I assume I may not be affected.

The question is, if I'm not affected because:
1) I'm lucky and it didn't happen yet,
2) hard drive (ST3200822AS) firmware is better - is anyone in contact
with Seagate?
3) SATA controller (Silicon Image SiI 3112) BIOS is better - is anyone
in contact with Silicon Image?

Additional question: is there a way to check the SATA controller BIOS as
easily as it is with the drive firmware?