2005-04-30 05:37:56

by Michael J. Cohen

Subject: Updated realtime-preempt documentation

Hey all,

I've been following Ingo Molnar and friends' lovely realtime-preempt
patchset. I'm curious, though, the only piece of documentation I've
found is
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/older/ANNOUNCE-voluntary-preempt
which is, indeed, quite old. Is anyone planning on updating this in
the near future or is it in too much flux? Should I try and make heads or
tails of the code first?

-
Michael

2005-04-30 06:11:37

by Lee Revell

Subject: Re: Updated realtime-preempt documentation

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 01:37 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been following Ingo Molnar and friends' lovely realtime-preempt
> patchset. I'm curious, though, the only piece of documentation I've
> found is
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/older/ANNOUNCE-voluntary-preempt
> which is, indeed, quite old. Is anyone planning on updating this in
> the near future or is it in too much flux? Should I try and make heads or
> tails of the code first?

I think it's changing too fast for anyone to have bothered to document
it yet.

But, you could make some pretty good documentation based on the LKML
discussions of RT preemption, especially Ingo's posts.

Lee

2005-04-30 14:23:15

by Daniel Walker

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 [email protected] wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've been following Ingo Molnar and friends' lovely realtime-preempt
> patchset. I'm curious, though, the only piece of documentation I've
> found is
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/older/ANNOUNCE-voluntary-preempt
> which is, indeed, quite old. Is anyone planning on updating this in
> the near future or is it in too much flux? Should I try and make heads or
> tails of the code first?

No free documentation exists that I know of. It would be nice if someone
wrote some..

What would you like to know?

Daniel

2005-04-30 14:28:46

by Daniel Walker

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Lee Revell wrote:

> I think it's changing too fast for anyone to have bothered to document
> it yet.

That's true for some of it, but like interrupts in threads hasn't changed
in a few months .. The config options aren't likely to change ..

> But, you could make some pretty good documentation based on the LKML
> discussions of RT preemption, especially Ingo's posts.

That would be a chore ..

Daniel

2005-04-30 15:40:25

by john cooper

[email protected] wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been following Ingo Molnar and friends' lovely realtime-preempt
> patchset. I'm curious, though, the only piece of documentation I've
> found is
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/older/ANNOUNCE-voluntary-preempt
> which is, indeed, quite old. Is anyone planning on updating this in
> the near future or is it in too much flux? Should I try and make heads or
> tails of the code first?

I'd cobbled together documentation for internal use here
though it lacks an "overall concepts" wrapper. I should
be revisiting this in a week or so and will look into
making it generally available.

-john

by Lee Revell

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 07:28 -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Lee Revell wrote:
>

> > I think it's changing too fast for anyone to have bothered to document
> > it yet.
>
> That's true for some of it, but like interrupts in threads hasn't changed
> in a few months .. The config options aren't likely to change ..

Right now there's this:

http://www.affenbande.org/~tapas/wiki/index.php?Low%20latency%20for%
20audio%20work%20on%20linux%202.6.x

It's slightly outdated and focuses only on using the RT kernel for low
latency audio with JACK, but I think it's the best user level doc so
far.

Lee

2005-04-30 20:34:39

by Jonathan Corbet

> I've been following Ingo Molnar and friends' lovely realtime-preempt
> patchset. I'm curious, though, the only piece of documentation I've
> found is
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/older/ANNOUNCE-voluntary-preempt
> which is, indeed, quite old. Is anyone planning on updating this in
> the near future or is it in too much flux?

Don't know if it's what you're after, but I've written some on the
realtime preemption patches:

http://lwn.net/Articles/106010/
http://lwn.net/Articles/107269/
http://lwn.net/Articles/108216/