2005-05-07 12:45:19

by li nux

Subject: oprofile: profiling kernel

Using oprofile Is it possible to profile how many
times a function say try_to_unmap_cluster() is called
within the kernel in a certain time interval ?
If yes, then how ?
What settings are needed for that.

-lnxluv

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

2005-05-07 15:12:36

by Baruch Even

Subject: Re: oprofile: profiling kernel

li nux wrote:
> Using oprofile Is it possible to profile how many
> times a function say try_to_unmap_cluster() is called
> within the kernel in a certain time interval ?
> If yes, then how ?
> What settings are needed for that.

No. That's not possible with oprofile.

To get something like that I hack the code and use relayfs to transfer
the data to user-space.

Note, the examples for relayfs show using sprintf to generate text
output. *Don't* do that. Use binary buffers and translate them to text
off-line in user-mode. sprintf is awfully inefficient for large amounts
of data.

Baruch