2005-05-11 14:25:38

by Zeno Davatz

Subject: Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)

Hi

I'm trying to set up a new server with 2*200GB HD's, 2*Intel Xeon 3.4
GHz and an Intel SE7520BD2 Motherboard (SATA).

I can boot perfectly fine from my Gentoo 2005.0 - minimal-install CD.
The system is up and running except when I want to boot from the
harddisk (root=/dev/sda3 boot=/dev/sda1, both on jfs). I can proof
that by mounting the new system when I boot from CD and do a chroot.

I even tried by compiling the kernel with the /proc/config.gz from the
above CD. Same result as in the subject line:
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)

Yes, I did run lilo -v and that went smoothly; and I do get the Lilo
manager in the beginning, but after that and some messages: Kernel
panic...

I'm on 2.6.11.8 from kernel.org

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Zeno

2005-05-11 16:54:58

by Laurent CARON

Zeno Davatz a écrit :

>Hi
>
>I'm trying to set up a new server with 2*200GB HD's, 2*Intel Xeon 3.4
>GHz and an Intel SE7520BD2 Motherboard (SATA).
>
>I can boot perfectly fine from my Gentoo 2005.0 - minimal-install CD.
>The system is up and running except when I want to boot from the
>harddisk (root=/dev/sda3 boot=/dev/sda1, both on jfs). I can proof
>that by mounting the new system when I boot from CD and do a chroot.
>
>I even tried by compiling the kernel with the /proc/config.gz from the
>above CD. Same result as in the subject line:
>Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)
>
>Yes, I did run lilo -v and that went smoothly; and I do get the Lilo
>manager in the beginning, but after that and some messages: Kernel
>panic...
>
>I'm on 2.6.11.8 from kernel.org

did you try using Linux root=/dev/hda3 boot=/dev/hda1 ?

2005-05-11 17:20:41

by Coywolf Qi Hunt

On 5/11/05, Zeno Davatz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to set up a new server with 2*200GB HD's, 2*Intel Xeon 3.4
> GHz and an Intel SE7520BD2 Motherboard (SATA).
>
> I can boot perfectly fine from my Gentoo 2005.0 - minimal-install CD.
> The system is up and running except when I want to boot from the
> harddisk (root=/dev/sda3 boot=/dev/sda1, both on jfs). I can proof
> that by mounting the new system when I boot from CD and do a chroot.
>
> I even tried by compiling the kernel with the /proc/config.gz from the
> above CD. Same result as in the subject line:
> Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)

Assurez-vous de disposer du pilote SCSI ? port?e de main.
--
Coywolf Qi Hunt
http://sosdg.org/~coywolf/

2005-05-12 06:47:31

by Zeno Davatz

On 5/11/05, Laurent CARON <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zeno Davatz a ?crit :

> >I'm trying to set up a new server with 2*200GB HD's, 2*Intel Xeon 3.4
> >GHz and an Intel SE7520BD2 Motherboard (SATA).
> >
> >I can boot perfectly fine from my Gentoo 2005.0 - minimal-install CD.
> >The system is up and running except when I want to boot from the
> >harddisk (root=/dev/sda3 boot=/dev/sda1, both on jfs). I can proof
> >that by mounting the new system when I boot from CD and do a chroot.
> >
> >I even tried by compiling the kernel with the /proc/config.gz from the
> >above CD. Same result as in the subject line:
> >Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)
> >
> >Yes, I did run lilo -v and that went smoothly; and I do get the Lilo
> >manager in the beginning, but after that and some messages: Kernel
> >panic...
> >
> >I'm on 2.6.11.8 from kernel.org
> >

> did you try using Linux root=/dev/hda3 boot=/dev/hda1 ?

Do you mean I should try that in Liilo or in fstab? When I boot from
CD I can clearly see /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda1.

Thanks for your help
Zeno

2005-05-12 06:49:40

by Zeno Davatz

On 5/11/05, Coywolf Qi Hunt <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 5/11/05, Zeno Davatz <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up a new server with 2*200GB HD's, 2*Intel Xeon 3.4
> > GHz and an Intel SE7520BD2 Motherboard (SATA).
> >
> > I can boot perfectly fine from my Gentoo 2005.0 - minimal-install CD.
> > The system is up and running except when I want to boot from the
> > harddisk (root=/dev/sda3 boot=/dev/sda1, both on jfs). I can proof
> > that by mounting the new system when I boot from CD and do a chroot.
> >
> > I even tried by compiling the kernel with the /proc/config.gz from the
> > above CD. Same result as in the subject line:
> > Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)
>
> Assurez-vous de disposer du pilote SCSI ? port?e de main.

I do not know if I understand, but I do not have any SCSI devices. I
have two SATA device connected to SATA A1 and SATA A2

Thanks for your help.
Zeno