2005-09-05 00:14:25

by Kalin KOZHUHAROV

Subject: 2.6.11.11 and rsync oops (SATA related?)

Hi, there.
Long time no posting - didn't have kernel problems for long time :-)

That is why I am still running 2.6.11.11 (2.6.12 elsewhere). Will move
to 2.6.13 soon.

Yesterday just bought a new SATAII drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
ST3300831AS) and while trying to rsync some data from the old drives the
rsync process died with segfault. My SiI3112 controller is not SATAII,
but it should work in SATA mode, have another drive for year+. Looking
at the dmesg I saw 3 oopses (see the shortened .dmesg file). Run the
ksymoops and got some output (see .ksymoops.bz2).

Although it does not seem very related to the drive, that is the only
recent change in hardware, in software: udev . The machine (MB: A7V8X
Deluxe) was working stable for 6 months with a few restarts.

As far as reproducibility goes, apart from those 3 oopses everything is
OK, didn't even have to restart and am now continuing to rsync some
200GB more.

Any ideas as to what caused this?

Kalin.

--
|[ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ]|
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+

2005-09-05 00:18:22

by Jesper Juhl

Subject: Re: 2.6.11.11 and rsync oops (SATA related?)

On 9/5/05, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi, there.
> Long time no posting - didn't have kernel problems for long time :-)
>
> That is why I am still running 2.6.11.11 (2.6.12 elsewhere). Will move
> to 2.6.13 soon.
>
> Yesterday just bought a new SATAII drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
> ST3300831AS) and while trying to rsync some data from the old drives the
> rsync process died with segfault. My SiI3112 controller is not SATAII,
> but it should work in SATA mode, have another drive for year+. Looking
> at the dmesg I saw 3 oopses (see the shortened .dmesg file). Run the
> ksymoops and got some output (see .ksymoops.bz2).

It seems you forgot to include the data. Nothing inline in the email,
nor any attachments.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

by Parag Warudkar

Jesper Juhl wrote:

>It seems you forgot to include the data. Nothing inline in the email,
>nor any attachments.

I could see the attachments and inline dmesg - probably your mail server
is at it.

Parag

2005-09-05 05:39:00

by Kalin KOZHUHAROV

Parag Warudkar wrote:
> Jesper Juhl wrote:
>
>> It seems you forgot to include the data. Nothing inline in the email,
>> nor any attachments.

Sorry for that, I really forgot to include the attachments at first,
then send the mail, then canceled it (on gmane.org), then send another
mail with the attachments.

> I could see the attachments and inline dmesg - probably your mail server
> is at it.
Jesper was just to quick to notice my mistake :-) But I thought that I
don't need to reply to him to increase the S/N ratio...

Kalin.

--
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+