2005-09-20 14:21:00

by Stefan Schmidt

Subject: 2.6.14-rc1-mm1 unable to mount root on HP Smart6i cciss was: Re: 2.6.14-rc1-mm1

Andrew Morton wrote:
> Changes since 2.6.13-mm3:
> -cciss-new-controller-pci-subsystem-ids.patch
> -cciss-busy_initializing-flag.patch
> -cciss-new-disk-register-deregister-routines.patch
> -cciss-direct-lookup-for-command-completions.patch
> -cciss-bug-fix-in-cciss_remove_one.patch
> -cciss-fix-for-dma-brokeness.patch
> -cciss-one-button-disaster-recovery-support.patch
> -cciss-scsi-tape-info-for-proc.patch

On a HP Proliant DL385 with Smart6i Controller 2.6.14-rc1-mm1 was unable
to mount root although the device file existed and had the correct
major/minor numbers. 2.6.13-vanilla was able to find and mount the very
same root-device using the same config.
Root-device was the first partition the first SCSI disk exported as JBOD
which in smart-controller terms means it is a raid0. /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
I was able to see the devices flying by during the booting of
2.6.14-rc1-mm1 so the controller, its disks and partitions were
recognized correctly, it was just unable to map the major/minor number
to a device or partition.

best regards,

Stefan Schmidt