2005-09-21 17:00:20

by Piter PUNK

Subject: kernel 2.6.13, USB keyboard and X.org

Hi,

i am using 2.6.13 in some machines. One of them has a USB keyboard.
My first problem: the keyboard simply doesn't works. I put "usb-handoff" in
prompt and all goes OK.

But, when i start X i got a second problem, is impossible to type
only one letter, one touch in a key makes a lot of letters, like that:

lllllliiiiiiinnnnnnnnuuuuxxxxx

instead

linux

The problem don't happens in kernel 2.4.31 (2.4.31 recognizes
the keyboard without usb-handoff, and works great in X).

Using 2.6.13, i try to configure X and change the "Autorepeat"
option. The default is to wait 500ms before start to repeat. I think
something is wrong and configure to wait 5000ms (5s) before start to
repeat the letters. In X nothing happens, i continue to type:
llllllliiiiiinnnnnnuuuuuuxxxxx

But, when i stop the X, the console keyboard got really
slow and start to repeat one letter only after i press the key by
five seconds. Following my X configuration.

I don't know if the bug is in kernel 2.6.13 or in X, because
that i am sending the report to both lists. In kernel 2.4.31 the X
works OK and, in 2.6.13 the console works OK, problem only in X.

If you want more information, let me know.

Piter PUNK

2005-09-25 01:40:30

by Carlo J. Calica

Subject: Re: kernel 2.6.13, USB keyboard and X.org

Piter Punk wrote:

> But, when i start X i got a second problem, is impossible to type
> only one letter, one touch in a key makes a lot of letters, like that:
>
> lllllliiiiiiinnnnnnnnuuuuxxxxx
>
> instead
>
> linux

I have the same problem, with my dual core athlon64. Booting a uniprocessor
kernel solves it. Another work around is turning off key repeat.

Best solution is setting processor affinity for the keyboard irq handler and
X to the same cpu. Seems to be a race condition of some sort. If a X
developer wants to work with me to debug contact me at
ccalica_at_gmail.com. I'm using gmane to access the list (occasionally).

Good luck.

Carlo J. Calica

2005-09-27 20:16:07

by Frank van Maarseveen

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 05:04:17PM -0700, Carlo J. Calica wrote:
> Piter Punk wrote:
>
> > But, when i start X i got a second problem, is impossible to type
> > only one letter, one touch in a key makes a lot of letters, like that:
> >
> > lllllliiiiiiinnnnnnnnuuuuxxxxx
> >
> > instead
> >
> > linux
> >

> I have the same problem, with my dual core athlon64. Booting a uniprocessor
> kernel solves it. Another work around is turning off key repeat.
>
> Best solution is setting processor affinity for the keyboard irq handler and
> X to the same cpu. Seems to be a race condition of some sort. If a X

You just might be hitting a TSC related problem, see bug #5105 at
bugzilla.kernel.org. In that case you will probably see funny timings
when doing an strace -tt of the xclock program, for example.

A workaround for i386 kernels is "clock=pit" on the kernel commandline.
In x86_64 mode, try "notsc" instead. Well, try that anyway but it didn't
work in my case.

--
Frank