2005-09-22 10:49:16

by Ed Sweetman

Subject: ipw2200 Broken 2.6.13: "firmware_loading_store: unexpected value (0)"

I'm using 2.6.13-mm1, and i tried both 1.0.6 and the included driver
(both matched with the appropriate ieee80211 driver) and I'm using
debian unstable's version of hotplug Version: 0.0.20031013-2. I have
very little installed on this computer as it's a WRAP board with mini
pci intel 2915. Is anything in userspace required to load firmware
besides hotplug? I dont use udev or devfs ...not sure if there are /dev
entries or what.

I'm getting this error constantly (thousands of times a second when
modprobing the ipw2200 driver (any version)

firmware_loading_store: unexpected value (0)

I have the firmware available in every possible accepted location for
firmware. I have no doubt that it's finding the firmware, but unable
to load it. My sysfs driver directory for the pci device has no "data"
file/directory in it, which I thought is where firmware is loaded.

If any other info is required to figure this problem out. Just mention
it. I'll provide everything. Attached is my config for the kernel in
question.

2005-09-22 11:28:58

by Benoit Boissinot

On 9/22/05, Ed Sweetman <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm using 2.6.13-mm1, and i tried both 1.0.6 and the included driver
> (both matched with the appropriate ieee80211 driver) and I'm using
> debian unstable's version of hotplug Version: 0.0.20031013-2. I have
> very little installed on this computer as it's a WRAP board with mini
> pci intel 2915. Is anything in userspace required to load firmware
> besides hotplug? I dont use udev or devfs ...not sure if there are /dev
> entries or what.
>
> I'm getting this error constantly (thousands of times a second when
> modprobing the ipw2200 driver (any version)
>
> firmware_loading_store: unexpected value (0)
>

> I have the firmware available in every possible accepted location for
> firmware. I have no doubt that it's finding the firmware, but unable
> to load it. My sysfs driver directory for the pci device has no "data"
> file/directory in it, which I thought is where firmware is loaded.
>
> If any other info is required to figure this problem out. Just mention
> it. I'll provide everything. Attached is my config for the kernel in
> question.

you should upgrade to at least .13-mm3 or revert :
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.13/2.6.13-mm2/broken-out/gregkh-driver-sysfs-strip_leading_trailing_whitespace-fix.patch

regards,

Benoit Boissinot