2005-10-15 12:21:45

by Nico Schottelius

Subject: Some problems with 2.6.13.4

Hello!

With 2.6.13.4 I've problems on several machines:

- IBM Thinkpad 600: Hangs (no panic, simply dead) after HDC (cdrom)
is initialized [Works with 2.6.13.5]
- Dell Latitude C400: Keyboard does not work
- new HP-Servers (ML-350): Hangup when syslog is started

What information do you want to have from those machines?
lspci, dmesg, cpuinfo, .config when running with older kernels?

The kernel configurations are used from the versions before, with running
make oldconfig before.

Greetings,

Nico

--
Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.

Attachments:
(No filename) (646.00 B)
signature.asc (827.00 B)
Digital signature

by Christian Kujau

Subject: Re: Some problems with 2.6.13.4

2005-10-15 15:41:05

by Nico Schottelius

Christian Kujau [Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 05:05:21PM +0200]:

> Nico Schottelius schrieb:
> > The kernel configurations are used from the versions before, with running
> > make oldconfig before.
>
> so, these machines were running fine with 2.6.13.3 or .2 and stopped
> working with 2.6.13.4? if yes, then perhaps you can narrow it down to one
> of the changes in patch-2.6.13.3-4.gz or patch-2.6.13.2-3.gz
>
> (from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/incr/)

Sorry, I sent the message before inserting this info:

- ibm tp runs with 2.6.12.5
- dell latitude runs with 2.6.10

I personally have access to the ibm tp and I'll test 2.6.13.3 in some hours
(which it nees to compile it).

I'll report more info than. Perhaps Daniel Aubry can test on his dell, too.

Nico

--
Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.

Attachments:
(No filename) (971.00 B)
signature.asc (827.00 B)
Digital signature

by Nico Schottelius

I was a little bit wrong:

2.6.13.3 and 2.6.13.4 freeze both on the ibm tp 600, but first
after "Freeing unused kernel memory: 96k"

There is no output from init (neither "cinit-0.2: Booting from ..."
nor "INIT:" (sys-v-init)), so this is not an init problem.

Could we somehow debug this differently or do I have to install
2.6.13.2 and 2.6.13.1, too? It would take simply hours until it is
finished here.

Nico

Nico Schottelius [Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 05:40:48PM +0200]:
> Christian Kujau [Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 05:05:21PM +0200]:
> >
> > Nico Schottelius schrieb:
> > > The kernel configurations are used from the versions before, with running
> > > make oldconfig before.
> >
> > so, these machines were running fine with 2.6.13.3 or .2 and stopped
> > working with 2.6.13.4? if yes, then perhaps you can narrow it down to one
> > of the changes in patch-2.6.13.3-4.gz or patch-2.6.13.2-3.gz
> >
> > (from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/incr/)
>
> Sorry, I sent the message before inserting this info:
>
> - ibm tp runs with 2.6.12.5
> - dell latitude runs with 2.6.10
>
> I personally have access to the ibm tp and I'll test 2.6.13.3 in some hours
> (which it nees to compile it).
>
> I'll report more info than. Perhaps Daniel Aubry can test on his dell, too.
>
> Nico
>
> --
> Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
> Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.

--
Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.60 kB)
signature.asc (827.00 B)
Digital signature

by Jesper Juhl

On 10/15/05, Nico Schottelius <[email protected]> wrote:
[snip]
> Could we somehow debug this differently or do I have to install
> 2.6.13.2 and 2.6.13.1, too? It would take simply hours until it is
> finished here.

If you have another, faster, machine available you could build the
kernel(s) on that one. You don't have to build a kernel on the same
machine that is later supposed to run it.
Also, if you have more than one machine (even if they are not
especially fast) then you can use distcc (http://distcc.samba.org/) to
distribute the build over multiple machines which can speed up a build
a great deal.

[snip]

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

by Nico Schottelius

Jesper Juhl [Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 10:22:22PM +0200]:
> On 10/15/05, Nico Schottelius <[email protected]> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Could we somehow debug this differently or do I have to install
> > 2.6.13.2 and 2.6.13.1, too? It would take simply hours until it is
> > finished here.
> >

> If you have another, faster, machine available you could build the
> kernel(s) on that one.

Actually, one of my fastest machines is this one:

bruehe2# cat /proc/cpuinfo
[...]
model name : Pentium III (Katmai)
cpu MHz : 551.280
[...]

And one, which has a not-so-good connection to me.

> You don't have to build a kernel on the same
> machine that is later supposed to run it.

That's clear :-)

> Also, if you have more than one machine (even if they are not
> especially fast) then you can use distcc (http://distcc.samba.org/) to
> distribute the build over multiple machines which can speed up a build
> a great deal.

distcc will fail here, because of different gccs and different distributions
(ever tried to use gentoo and distcc in the same distcc-network? It's a real
pain).

Thanks for the hints anyway,

Nico

--
Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.25 kB)
signature.asc (827.00 B)
Digital signature

by Paolo Ornati

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:38:24 +0200
Nico Schottelius <[email protected]> wrote:

> distcc will fail here, because of different gccs and different distributions
> (ever tried to use gentoo and distcc in the same distcc-network? It's a real
> pain).

You can also use ccache to speed-up:
http://ccache.samba.org/

--
Paolo Ornati
Linux 2.6.14-rc4-g7a3ca7d2 on x86_64

2005-10-16 11:20:13

by Nico Schottelius

After some heavy compile hours, here are the results:

- 2.6.13.1 and 2.6.13.2 behave the same way with the same config.

For reference I now published the configs [0]. 2.6.12.5 was the config
source, all others where generated using make oldconfig.

Perhaps there's a somehow heavy configuration mistake in it?

Btw, Daniel Aubry fixed his keyboard problem with disabling usb keyboard support
in the bios (is this really the right way?).

Nico

[0]: http://creme.schottelius.org/~nico/temp/kb-configs/

Nico Schottelius [Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 10:02:45PM +0200]:
> I was a little bit wrong:
>
> 2.6.13.3 and 2.6.13.4 freeze both on the ibm tp 600, but first
> after "Freeing unused kernel memory: 96k"
>
> There is no output from init (neither "cinit-0.2: Booting from ..."
> nor "INIT:" (sys-v-init)), so this is not an init problem.
>
> Could we somehow debug this differently or do I have to install
> 2.6.13.2 and 2.6.13.1, too? It would take simply hours until it is
> finished here.
>
> Nico
>
> Nico Schottelius [Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 05:40:48PM +0200]:
> > Christian Kujau [Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 05:05:21PM +0200]:

> > > so, these machines were running fine with 2.6.13.3 or .2 and stopped
> > > working with 2.6.13.4? if yes, then perhaps you can narrow it down to one
> > > of the changes in patch-2.6.13.3-4.gz or patch-2.6.13.2-3.gz
> > >
> > > (from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/incr/)
> >
> > Sorry, I sent the message before inserting this info:
> >
> > - ibm tp runs with 2.6.12.5
> > - dell latitude runs with 2.6.10
> >
> > I personally have access to the ibm tp and I'll test 2.6.13.3 in some hours
> > (which it nees to compile it).
> >
> > I'll report more info than. Perhaps Daniel Aubry can test on his dell, too.
> >
> > Nico
> >
> > --
> > Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
> > Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.
>

> --
> Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
> Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.

--
Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.39 kB)
signature.asc (827.00 B)
Digital signature

by Kalin KOZHUHAROV

Nico Schottelius wrote:
> Jesper Juhl [Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 10:22:22PM +0200]:
>
>>On 10/15/05, Nico Schottelius <[email protected]> wrote:
>>[snip]
>>
>>>Could we somehow debug this differently or do I have to install
>>>2.6.13.2 and 2.6.13.1, too? It would take simply hours until it is
>>>finished here.
>>>

>>If you have another, faster, machine available you could build the
>>kernel(s) on that one.
>
> Actually, one of my fastest machines is this one:
>
> bruehe2# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> [...]
> model name : Pentium III (Katmai)
> cpu MHz : 551.280
> [...]
>
> And one, which has a not-so-good connection to me.
>

>>You don't have to build a kernel on the same
>>machine that is later supposed to run it.
>

> That's clear :-)
>

>>Also, if you have more than one machine (even if they are not
>>especially fast) then you can use distcc (http://distcc.samba.org/) to
>>distribute the build over multiple machines which can speed up a build
>>a great deal.
>

> distcc will fail here, because of different gccs and different distributions
> (ever tried to use gentoo and distcc in the same distcc-network? It's a real
> pain).
How come?
I am using distcc + ccache in default install with at least -j5 on my network of Gentoo machines.
And building a kernel with -j8 on 4 boxen (P4@2GHz each) is a snap.
Particularly pleasing to watch distccmon-gui :-D

Kalin.

--
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+