2005-10-18 18:04:15

by John Richard Moser

Subject: When is OSS going to go?

2005-10-18 18:06:35

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: When is OSS going to go?

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 02:01:43PM -0400, John Richard Moser wrote:
> The Open Sound System has been depricated. . . since. . . when the heck?
> 2.4? Is it ever going to drop off? Are there a few cards in OSS that
> don't work right in ASLA?

Already been discussed; check the archives.

Jeff

2005-10-18 18:51:12

by John Richard Moser

2005-10-18 19:12:19

by Alejandro Bonilla

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:48:37 -0400, John Richard Moser wrote

> Got a lkml.org link or a subject line I should search for? "OSS remove"
> "OSS sound remove" "Open sound system" all return garbage.

Why would you want it to go away? People can decide from which one to use and
make Linux more flexible.

Anyway, I think the archives say something like, it doesn't have to go away,
so why remove it?

.Alejandro

2005-10-18 19:16:10

by Lee Revell

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 15:12 -0400, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:48:37 -0400, John Richard Moser wrote
> >
> > Got a lkml.org link or a subject line I should search for? "OSS remove"
> > "OSS sound remove" "Open sound system" all return garbage.
>
> Why would you want it to go away? People can decide from which one to use and
> make Linux more flexible.

Having both available just leads to confusion and bloats the kernel.
Flexibility isn't the same as redundancy.

Lee

2005-10-18 19:17:42

by Kyle Moffett

http://www.zipworld.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/top-posting.txt
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 02:01:43PM -0400, John Richard Moser wrote:
>>> The Open Sound System has been depricated. . . since. . . when
>>> the heck?
>>> 2.4? Is it ever going to drop off? Are there a few cards in OSS
>>> that
>>> don't work right in ASLA?
>>
>> Already been discussed; check the archives.

I don't remember if it ever got patched, but linux/Documentation/
feature-removal-schedule.txt should contain a mention of it and
pertinent quotes from the LKML thread.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
There is no way to make Linux robust with unreliable memory
subsystems, sorry. It would be like trying to make a human more

2005-10-18 19:25:55

by John Richard Moser

2005-10-18 19:54:33

by Brian Gerst

Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:48:37 -0400, John Richard Moser wrote

>>Got a lkml.org link or a subject line I should search for? "OSS remove"
>>"OSS sound remove" "Open sound system" all return garbage.
>

> Why would you want it to go away? People can decide from which one to use and
> make Linux more flexible.

Because the OSS drivers are not maintained anymore and are starting to
suffer from bitrot.

--
Brian Gerst

2005-10-18 21:49:50

by Bill Davidsen

John Richard Moser wrote:

> The Open Sound System has been depricated. . . since. . . when the heck?
> 2.4? Is it ever going to drop off? Are there a few cards in OSS that
> don't work right in ASLA?

This has been discussed before, but the major argument is that if Linux
starts dropping functional features there is no longer even a pretense
of this kernel line being stable.

Drop it in 2.7.

--
-bill davidsen ([email protected])

by James Courtier-Dutton

John Richard Moser wrote:
> The Open Sound System has been depricated. . . since. . . when the heck?
> 2.4? Is it ever going to drop off? Are there a few cards in OSS that
> don't work right in ASLA?

There are still a few cards, hardly any in fact, that work better in OSS
so why bother removing it? Maybe we should add an extra config option in
the kernel.
1) Show/Hide depreciated (add this one)
2) Show/Hide experimental (we already have this one)

2005-10-19 08:32:19

by Jules Colding

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 14:01 -0400, John Richard Moser wrote:

> The Open Sound System has been depricated. . . since. . . when the heck?
> 2.4? Is it ever going to drop off? Are there a few cards in OSS that
> don't work right in ASLA?

Yes:

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1276

--
jules

2005-10-19 17:56:40

by Nix

On 18 Oct 2005, Bill Davidsen suggested tentatively:
> John Richard Moser wrote:
>> The Open Sound System has been depricated. . . since. . . when the heck?
>> 2.4? Is it ever going to drop off? Are there a few cards in OSS that
>> don't work right in ASLA?
>>
> This has been discussed before, but the major argument is that if
> Linux starts dropping functional features there is no longer even a
> pretense of this kernel line being stable.

The dropping of e.g. devfs has already knocked that idea on the head;
functional features are being removed as well as added.

(And as ALSA can emulate the useful parts of OSS, when all OSS cards are
supported by ALSA, there won't be any function loss anyway.)

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred