2005-10-06 05:16:38

by Devesh Sharma

Subject: Issues in Booting kernel 2.6.13

Hi all,
I have compiled 2.6.13 kernel on a opteron machine with 1 GB physical
memory, Whole compilation gose well but at the last step
make install I am getting a warning
WARNING: No module mptbase found for kernel 2.6.13, continuing anyway
WARNING: No module mptscsih found for kernel 2.6.13, continuing anyway

now when I boot my kernel, panic is received
Booting the kernel.
Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
mkrootdev: lable / not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed : 22
umount : /initrd/dev failed : 22
kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init

What could be the problem?
I have RHEL 4 base release already installed on which I have compiled
this image.

2005-10-07 02:08:11

by Randy Dunlap

Subject: Re: Issues in Booting kernel 2.6.13

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:46:37 +0530 devesh sharma wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have compiled 2.6.13 kernel on a opteron machine with 1 GB physical
> memory, Whole compilation gose well but at the last step
> make install I am getting a warning
> WARNING: No module mptbase found for kernel 2.6.13, continuing anyway
> WARNING: No module mptscsih found for kernel 2.6.13, continuing anyway

If you need mpt drivers, there were some changes in the
FUSION MPT driver options that may be causing them not to be
built for you as you were expecting.

> now when I boot my kernel, panic is received
> Booting the kernel.
> Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
> mkrootdev: lable / not found
> mount: error 2 mounting ext3
> mount: error 2 mounting none
> switchroot: mount failed : 22
> umount : /initrd/dev failed : 22
> kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init
>
> What could be the problem?
> I have RHEL 4 base release already installed on which I have compiled
> this image.

---
~Randy
You can't do anything without having to do something else first.
-- Belefant's Law

2005-10-08 19:25:08

by Simen Thoresen

Hi Randy,

Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:46:37 +0530 devesh sharma wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>I have compiled 2.6.13 kernel on a opteron machine with 1 GB physical
>>memory, Whole compilation gose well but at the last step
>>make install I am getting a warning
>>WARNING: No module mptbase found for kernel 2.6.13, continuing anyway
>>WARNING: No module mptscsih found for kernel 2.6.13, continuing anyway
>

> If you need mpt drivers, there were some changes in the
> FUSION MPT driver options that may be causing them not to be
> built for you as you were expecting.

I ran into this (2.6.13.3) on Friday as well, but I have not yet examined it
in detail.

Do you have any pointers to the relevant postings or information?

I've used the 'mkinitrd' tool to generate a 'proper' initrd, and I see both
mptbase and mptscsih loading, but mptscsih never picks up any actual
controllers or disks. Thus the same problem on my system.

To me, this signifies that RHs mkinitrd is broken for this kernel, but I
don't know the details of why yet.

Yours,
-S

>>now when I boot my kernel, panic is received
>>Booting the kernel.
>>Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
>>mkrootdev: lable / not found
>>mount: error 2 mounting ext3
>>mount: error 2 mounting none
>>switchroot: mount failed : 22
>>umount : /initrd/dev failed : 22
>>kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init
>>
>>What could be the problem?
>>I have RHEL 4 base release already installed on which I have compiled
>>this image.
>

> ---
> ~Randy
> You can't do anything without having to do something else first.
> -- Belefant's Law
> -

Simen Thoresen, Wulfkit Support, Dolphin ICS
http://www.tysland.com/~simentt/cluster

2005-10-08 19:31:36

by Randy Dunlap

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 21:25:03 +0200 Simen Thoresen wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:46:37 +0530 devesh sharma wrote:
> >

> >>Hi all,
> >>I have compiled 2.6.13 kernel on a opteron machine with 1 GB physical
> >>memory, Whole compilation gose well but at the last step
> >>make install I am getting a warning
> >>WARNING: No module mptbase found for kernel 2.6.13, continuing anyway
> >>WARNING: No module mptscsih found for kernel 2.6.13, continuing anyway
> >

> > If you need mpt drivers, there were some changes in the
> > FUSION MPT driver options that may be causing them not to be
> > built for you as you were expecting.
>
> I ran into this (2.6.13.3) on Friday as well, but I have not yet examined it
> in detail.
>
> Do you have any pointers to the relevant postings or information?

No, I just recall seeing a few other problem reports and answers about it,
and then I compared the 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 .config files following
'make defconfig'.

> I've used the 'mkinitrd' tool to generate a 'proper' initrd, and I see both
> mptbase and mptscsih loading, but mptscsih never picks up any actual
> controllers or disks. Thus the same problem on my system.
>
> To me, this signifies that RHs mkinitrd is broken for this kernel, but I
> don't know the details of why yet.

so maybe someone from Red Hat can answer/clarify.

> Yours,
> -S
>

> >>now when I boot my kernel, panic is received
> >>Booting the kernel.
> >>Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
> >>mkrootdev: lable / not found
> >>mount: error 2 mounting ext3
> >>mount: error 2 mounting none
> >>switchroot: mount failed : 22
> >>umount : /initrd/dev failed : 22
> >>kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init
> >>
> >>What could be the problem?
> >>I have RHEL 4 base release already installed on which I have compiled
> >>this image.

---
~Randy

2005-10-10 08:16:29

by Simen Thoresen

Hi Randy, Devesh,

Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 21:25:03 +0200 Simen Thoresen wrote:
>

>>Hi Randy,
>>
>>Randy.Dunlap wrote:

>>>If you need mpt drivers, there were some changes in the
>>>FUSION MPT driver options that may be causing them not to be
>>>built for you as you were expecting.
>>
>>I ran into this (2.6.13.3) on Friday as well, but I have not yet examined it
>>in detail.
>>
>>Do you have any pointers to the relevant postings or information?
>

> No, I just recall seeing a few other problem reports and answers about it,
> and then I compared the 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 .config files following
> 'make defconfig'.

It worked with 2.6.12.6, so I'm happy. It now remains to be seen if
there was any point in upgrading .-)

>>I've used the 'mkinitrd' tool to generate a 'proper' initrd, and I see both
>>mptbase and mptscsih loading, but mptscsih never picks up any actual
>>controllers or disks. Thus the same problem on my system.
>>
>>To me, this signifies that RHs mkinitrd is broken for this kernel, but I
>>don't know the details of why yet.
>

> so maybe someone from Red Hat can answer/clarify.

I agree. I'll cross my fingers that this gets fixed 'now' and not in
time for RH5 :-)

-S

>>Yours,
>>-S

> ---
> ~Randy
> -

Simen Thoresen, Wulfkit Support, Dolphin ICS
http://www.tysland.com/~simentt/cluster

2005-10-10 09:28:55

by Devesh Sharma

Hi,
Randy, Simen and list
I am sorry , I could not reply ur post on 6th oct as I have noticed
ur reply today. But I have got the solution for this.

During make menuconfig I forgot to include MPT FUSION device support
in my erlier compilation. But Now this is working fine

I am sorry If this has created any confusion among the list.
Or If its really an issue then let me know also.

Thanks

2005-10-10 09:48:07

by Simen Thoresen

Hi Devesh,

I still have problems, and I see both mptbase and mptscsih loading, so
I've assumed that mkinitrd is not happy with the new kernel.

Could you please mail me your .config directly so I can have a look at it?

-S

Devesh Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> Randy, Simen and list
> I am sorry , I could not reply ur post on 6th oct as I have noticed
> ur reply today. But I have got the solution for this.
>
> During make menuconfig I forgot to include MPT FUSION device support
> in my erlier compilation. But Now this is working fine
>
> I am sorry If this has created any confusion among the list.
> Or If its really an issue then let me know also.
>
> Thanks
> -

Simen Thoresen, Wulfkit Support, Dolphin ICS
http://www.tysland.com/~simentt/cluster

2005-11-03 15:18:38

by Simen Thoresen

Simen Thoresen wrote:
> Hi Devesh,
>
> I still have problems, and I see both mptbase and mptscsih loading, so
> I've assumed that mkinitrd is not happy with the new kernel.
>
> Could you please mail me your .config directly so I can have a look at it?
>
> -S

Hi Devesh, Randy

Sorry about not following this up earlier, but I've resolved my problem, and
am booting happily. CONFIG_FUSION_SPI=y (rather than =m), and then tell
mkinitrd not to care about scsi-devices.

Than you for your help :-)

Yours,
-S